Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

kcuestag

#870 It's still rare to find someone in the street who could mantain a conversation with you in English, maybe two out of ten could do it.

We are still quite far from the rest of Europe. Here in Germany for example, you go to a store and ask someone if they speak English and most actually do.

3 respuestas
Exedra

#871 then why are you learning german instead of french for example, because french people do not speak english in most of cases

1 respuesta
kcuestag

#872 I didn't mention France at all, I said the rest of Europe, which doesn't necessarily need to include all the countries of Europe. As an example, in scandinavian countries like Finland, Sweden, and Denmark, 8 out of 10 people there speak English fluently without a problem, same goes to countries like Netherlands or Switzerland or Austria.

If you come to Spain, you may be lucky if you find 1 out of 10 speaking fluent English.

S

#871 Based on my experience traveling around Europe, I found that people from the Netherlands and Scandinavian countries like Denmark, Norway and Sweden speak English more fluently compared to people from say, France, Italy or Spain. And the reason is that In Scandinavia, children start to learn English in school at 8 years of age, continue to study English until they graduate from high school at the age of 19 (same as Netherlands). The only solution is to have a bilingual staff serving our community, the same method that "Catalan's" do, but teaching English on every Spanish establishement.

2 respuestas
kcuestag

#874 Not to mention in countries like those you mentioned, most TV shows and movies are showed in their original language, English, thus helping them learn English a lot easier. :)

That's why I just watch everything I can in English, although I was born in the US (California) and I lived 3 years in England, 3 years in Turkey (on an american school) and now 3 years in Germany in an american school as well. :P

I just got used to watching all TV Shows and movies in english, for example The Walking Dead or Alcatraz shows, their translation to Spanish is really lame.

T

same for most comedy shows, like Family Guy. Awesome in English, sucky after translations...

fl0recilla

Anyone here wants to play words with friends? Its like the Scrabble game but in english
(Iphone+Android), my nickname is fl0recilla

1 respuesta
Eleanor

I am looking for a good Vocabulary book, with exercises and answers. I am preparing for C1 this year. Do you have any recommendation for me?

1 respuesta
Pertazeta

Well, and their mother tongues are way too similar

1 respuesta
ElRuso

#877 Words with friends is an awesome game. However I do not have CrapPhone or Android. When I get my hands on one, I will try to send you an invite...

1 respuesta
fl0recilla

#880 haha sweeet!

sPNkKkKkKkKk

#879 I wouldn't say too similar but quite or very similar.

porroponpom

#878 Cambridge books bro

12 días después
kasuno1

Hi fellas!

Do you know if it's correct to say "cause of" instead of "because of"?
In a colloquial way of course.

1 respuesta
kcuestag

#884 Yep.

Fyn4r

"Cuz" ftw! XD

1 respuesta
kasuno1

#886 "Cuz" looks a bit cani to me. xD

1 respuesta
Soan9

Why the hell anglophone people substitude the final "g" of the "ing" ending with a -> ' ?
I mean, isn't it the same? The same number of characters, 1... Or it's used for the purpose of the pronunciation? What's the fking difference!? >_<

sPNkKkKkKkKk

#887 I guess Cani is said Chav in english.

Postmortem

Hi, I only came here to cry cuz im full of exams this week and Mass Effect 3 has been released today so everyone is playing it. At least, I'm not going to fail the exams but... damn it, I need my dear Shepard, and maybe some grammatical practice on English?

Cuz it's just the "Chav" version of Because or Because of? this question is only to keep the english conversation.

sPNkKkKkKkKk

you meant has been released. Btw i don't understand your last paragraph, or rather, your last question.

Postmortem

Well, i can use because, for example for

I don't play this game because I am studying history

or I can say

I don't play this game because of the exam

but I can imagine that I can use "cuz" only replacing it for "Because" words, I mean, for example, using the last sentences, cuz i'm studiying History or cuz of the exam

By the way, thanks for let me know about my past perfect mistake!

H

#871 We're not that far compared to France or Italy.

1 respuesta
sPNkKkKkKkKk

I've never seen "cuz of" so I couldn't tell you wheather it exists or not.

#893 I'd say we're a bit better than they are in terms of English.

M

Hi guys, I need some help. Is this text ok?

"This fabolous place was a turism center, but due to a fire on year 2000, it was destroyed*, even so about 700.000 people comes here to visit the location and get a break of his stressfull lifes."

2 respuestas
Eleanor

#895 I think people is plural so it would be " people come" and it sounds better to me " on the year 2000". But Im not 100% sure, so someone please confirm

1 respuesta
G

op is a faggot

kcuestag

#895 #896 Correct.

I'd write it this way:

"This fabolous place was a turism center, but due to a fire on the year 2000, it was destroyed*, even then about 700.000 people still come here to visit the location and get a break from their stressful lives."

That would be the correct way.

FreshWind

What would be the translation to spanish of "someone roofied me"? thank you!

Ivlas

hi guys, I need advises:

I understand almost everything, I can read an entire book or hear a song/conversation without trouble, but speaking isn't my best

so, I started to see tv shows with english subtitles (I used to get spanish subtitles)
what else can I do?
I have to improve my english, I need to learn vocabulary as soon as possible!!!

thank youuu!!

btw: Last week I was at Manchester with a friend, I recommend you to visit that city, so beautiful... polite and kind people... and the best: cheap beer !!

1 respuesta
Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales