Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

Vito_

#2817 chav is spelled like that? I dunno why I always thought it'd be sth like 'chubb'... obviously is a word I've only heard when speaking with English youngsters therefore I had no way to check it.

And I think everyone must learn both informal and formal English, when I first came here (the UK) I was told that foreigners learn 'the English of the Queen', which is true.

3 respuestas
NosFeR_

#2821 yep, it's chav.

B

:)

1 respuesta
Vito_

#2823 Nice. Cheers mate, thx for the info :D

1 respuesta
B

#2824 it's alright . we're here to help.

It's the same with the Catalonian language, we are taught the formal “version" of it.

Mirtor

#2821 I totally agree on that. Informal language is not necessarily equal to vulgar, and both formal and informal are useful. Sometimes they don't teach you some words and expressions because it's not formal enough and if you don't involve yourself in the 'real' world when you're learning you may find yourself very lost when you finally are left alone in that 'real' world just because someone decided you shouldn't be teached that words. It's a shame but there are not many things we can do about that.

1 2 respuestas
Rivendel

#2826 but that can lead to fun situations anyways so no problem

B

#2826 believe me when I say that things are changing, the kids I'm teaching have to pass an oral test with some vocabulary, I.e she has 8 years and last unit was "was the weather like in..." And this unit is asking for a single or return train ticket.

arklam

Hey, I've never came here (now I think I should more often) but I need your help
I got a problem with a traslation. I'm studying psychology and I'm working on my final paper. There's a variable I don't know how to translate. "Injuctive norms". In a sentence from a paper I've been using:
injunctive norms is the perception of the extent to which important others approve of the behavior.

Obviously, I know the meaning but I just can't find the appropiate word in spanish.

2 respuestas
B

#2829 "convenciones sociales", maybe?

1 1 respuesta
arklam

#2830 It could be, thanks. Now I gotta talk to my teacher to see if she agrees.

JuanAnthony

#2829 translation* ;)

minervatenea

Hi! Sorry for my mistakes but my english is a little bit rusty right now...i came here to ask something. I would love to work as a spanish teacher in another country , does anyone work in a foreign country as a teacher?

1 respuesta
arklam

#2833 Try here http://www.mediavida.com/foro/viajes
Maybe you'll find someone.

1 respuesta
minervatenea

#2834 thanks!

microhelix

I need some help in finding interesting stuff in english. Most TV shows, films and whatnot come from overseas, and I'm tired of those accents. I need something from the isles or, in a more generic sense, european.

Does the BBC stream online? I couldn't find anything. I know what does and doesn't seem interesting is highly subjective, but I'm talking about great "culture waypoints".

I guess I should start paying more attention to anglophone european films that reach me.

1 respuesta
comx

#2836 http://tvplayer.com but you have to have installed Hola!'s firefox complement to use it.

rayka

Well, I'm writting an essay and I'm a bit confused about how to use the word "either". I want to say a list of things I haven't done yet, finishing with "tampoco": I haven't done the washing-up or cleaned the floor yet. I haven't done the ironing either, so I'm a bit stressed... Is this sentence right?

1 respuesta
Eyvindur

#2838 I guess it is, try to avoid to use double negatives in English, considering "neither" as a negative word and "either" as a positive one. That's the key to prevent mistakes in this lesson.

Check this

B

Hello everyone!
I went to a pub today to improve my speaking and I had propose to improve my written English. This is the reason I'm writing here and I hope to discuss a lot of things.

The part I domain less, is the grammar because is sometimes difficult for me and I fail a lot, so if someone can correct me when I fail, I appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!

1 respuesta
Rivendel

#2840 Well I´ll correct a mistake I think you´ve made. I don´t really think that domain has the meaning you think it has. It´s a false friend. You should say: The part I dominate less.

Also had propose sounds terrible to me. I can´t even know wich tense it is. I think you are trying to say in spanish:

Me he propuesto wich would be I have proposed myself to improve my written English
or
Me han propuesto wich would be I have been proposed to improve my written English

================

Now i ask for advice in my english also. I´m writting my CV in english. I must get it right so can i can get a job in the UK. Do you think the next paragraph is fine or did i made a mistake?:

Supervised, motivated, and monitored performance of a team
consisting on four truck drivers and machinery operators during
mining earth-moving surface operations. Project development of
contracts and offers for the local government and private
companies along with a team of civil engineers.

2 respuestas
B

#2841 You're right. On the one hand, I thought that I wrote it well, but the word sounds better in the case you exposed.

On the other hand, you're right too. The sentence I tried to say is: I have proposed myself to improve my written English.

I need a lot of corrections.
Thank you! :)

Kartalon

#2841 If you are writing something kind of formal try to avoid omitting the subject. Also, a project is usually "developed" by every stakeholder involved in it, maybe you'd rather point out that you "managed" projects related to public and private organisations.

As a side note, the paragraph seems quite "generic", usually here HR people prefer CVs that reflect more specific stuff.

Bahalol

I want to practice my writting. I advice you that I never do it, so I will make a lot of mistakes.

3 respuestas
Rivendel

#2844 Well that´s the point of this thread, making mistakes so other users can correct you and the other way around.

comx

For every one who would like to improve their vocabulary and of course to get used to hear in English I recommend you to see South Park in VO with subtitles.
South Park's website

#2844 "I remember (sound better than advise) you that I never did it" :)

10 días después
Nclass1fireD

Please, recommend me some good websites to download ebooks in english. I looked for them but I had not found any.

Btw, I'm using an app called Any Chat to speak in english with foreign people. It's the best way to learn a language, I think.
I recommend it to you.

3 respuestas
G

#2847 of course it is. I've been speaking a lot with foreigners -in english, obviously- in the last three months and is insane how much has improved my vocabulary and the way I communicate in this time. My idea is to pass some time in an english-speaking country the next summer. Can't see a better way for improving this language.

Anyway, about the books. The easiest way is searching the name of the book in english and adding ".epub" in the end. After some broken links you should find almost any book you want.

Don't know too much about ebooks, but the Amazon's Kindle is awesome if you want to read in english. Has an incorporated dictionary which is super-useful for the words that you don't know the meaning. I'm in love with it.

Rivendel

#2847 http://torrentz.eu/ is a general web for torrent sites. You can search books just by typing its title, maybe their author too. As English is the language of the internet it´s easy to find books on p2p programs unless thery quite technical or extrange.

nathankiller

#2844 Well first of the correct way to say it would be : " I warn you that I've never done it before..."

Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales