Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

cabron

un?

"un Madrid", "un coming"

1 respuesta
DoriHysteria

#2881 tablet autocorrect, sorry

1 respuesta
cabron

I just found it weird, it could be a typo, but when it appeared more than once started to look strange.

1 respuesta
DoriHysteria

#2883 it's fixed now :)

NosFeR_

#2878 you really do a good job. I'll definitely give a try to your disc. Let me know if you come to the south east of the uk!

hamai

#2880 I've gone to English Speakers Meetings, and in the general term it was pretty decent and useful. For me was the first step to start learning english again. Since I discovered this meetings I started to realize that my English was not so good as I though (Good for a highschool student xD).

The best part is add the social life to the study of english, that improve a lot the experience of learning the lenguage.

Btw, me and my girlfriend will be glad of join you in order to go with you if you want.

1 respuesta
Vito_

#2878 Reallyspamnice song, mate! :P

Just kidding, really liked it and the accent is not bad at all, wish you the very best for your gig :)

#2880 I went once to one of those language exchanges and it wasn't as good as I thought. I mean, nice experience indeed, but we were around 6 Spaniards and then 4 from other countries of which only 2 spoke good English (the Spaniards were low average English level). Obviously we spent a nice afternoon but I couldn't practice as much as I would've liked.
I have to say that this exchange was set up in Granada, maybe you have a wider variety of people attending in Madrid.
Have a go and hope you can improve your English :)

DoriHysteria

#2886 that's nice, if I go to one of those I'll let you know :)

B

#2879 that escalated quickly, maybe.

#2880 go ahead! if you really want to lose your shyness that's a good initiative, you must to get out of your comfort zone to improve.
Im not sure if i'll be able but.. wich coffee?

1 respuesta
DoriHysteria

#2889 There are a lot of different places.

http://www.metropoli.com/salir/2014/07/09/53bd7ee322601dac118b45ad.html

Its in spanish, but you can see there are plenty of options to practise English

10 días después
MaikelNait

Hi everyone and good sunday afternoon. In six days I'm going to do my FCE exam and I'm practicing one of the most important parts: writing an essay.

I want you to read the essay i just have written and give me your opinion. You can also feel free to correct me and remark bad expressions or vocabulary/grammar mistakes.

The topic is: Pollution and damage to environment. Do you think these probelms can be solved?

spoiler
2 respuestas
Rivendel

#2891 Most of the essay is fine though it doesn´t feel like written by an english native. I mean it has expressions that sound better when translated into spanish but that doesn´t mean they are wrong in english. For FCE level are perfect. I think you´re gonna pass the exam. Mistakes:

importante -> important (:D)
made by -> made off?
improves -> improvements?

1 respuesta
MaikelNait

#2892 True, silly mistakes xD

Sylph

#2891 Agree with Rivendel, I think you're perfectly fine for FCE level! Even so, I think I found some mistakes, I'll point them out:

• Related "to" the environment
  • Non-recycling enough... I'm not sure if it's correct, it sounds a bit weird! I would suggest something like "Lack of recycling habits" for example
  • Despite all of that: I guess you mixed it up (the extra "of" )

Good luck with the exam!

1 mes después
D

Hi, pals! Can anyone tell me if there's something wrong in this translation, or perhaps something that doesn't sound natural for legal stuff?

LEGAL SERVICES CONTRACT
IMMIGRATION AND CRIMINALS LAW

I, _______, agree to hire the Law Offices of the lawyer _______ (Lawyer) to represent me in the following case: Withdrawing of status of 2-years permanent residence. For this service I agree to pay the fees the amount of $ _______ I have paid to this day _______, $ ________, I am committed to paying the balance of $ ______ in the following manner: ______ when we receive the appointment to attend an interview in San Bernardino, CA, or when we receive the approval of withdrawal for the first condition. This contract covers only and exclusively the service detailed above. In case of needing additional work, such as appeals, motions to reopen cases, etc., it will be discussed with the client to sign a new contract if needed. The client is also obliged to pay the immigration fees and costs this case requires. The fees do not include the payments for immigration.

1. The lawyer undertakes to make every effort to succeed in this case and the client is commited to telling the whole truth about the case and to inform of any change of address or phone number, and to make the payments in time. Should the client does not comply with the agreement in this contract, the lawyer will leave the case.

2. Both the client and the lawyer may end this contract at any time; they will agree whether the client owes fees for the work done or to receive a refund by the lawyer. The lawyer will charge $350.00 per hour of work.

3. Finally, the client must understand that immigration laws are very complex and very difficult and that under no circumstances it is easy, even if it may look that way, and therefore success cannot be guaranteed in this case. However, by using every legal source possible.

Thanks in advance!

1 respuesta
Mynkon

#2895 I studied legal translation a couple of years ago and I think something's wrong with that xD Wrong as in it seems that it's just translated from another language into English without bearing in mind the rules English contracts have (sentence structure, terminology, etc). I mean it's actually ok, but a native person can tell it's written by a non-native speaker and someone who's not specialized in writing them. But anyway, you can understand it perfectly xD

However, there are still a few mistakes.

• IMMIGRATION AND CRIMINALS LAW
  • should the client does not comply
  • the last sentence
1 respuesta
D

#2896 Yeah the last sentence is incomplete, I didn't realize xD Anyway it was just a draft, and the original contract is rubbish, trust me. This is the final result. Tell me what you think pls:

LEGAL SERVICES CONTRACT
IMMIGRATION AND CRIMINALS LAW

I, _______, agree to hire the Law Offices of the lawyer _______ (Lawyer) to represent me in the following case: Withdrawing of status of 2-years permanent residence. For this service I agree to pay a fee of the amount of $ _______ Today I have paid _______, $ ________, I am committed to paying the balance of $ ______ in the following manner: ______ when we receive the appointment to attend an interview in San Bernardino, CA, or when we receive notification of withdrawal from such a condition, whichever comes first. This contract exclusively covers the services detailed above. In the event of needing additional services covering representation for appeals, motions to reopen cases, etc., the firm will discuss signing a new contract with the client. The client is also obligated to pay the immigration fees and costs that this case requires. The fees do not include other payments for immigration unrelated to this case.

1. The lawyer commits to making every effort to succeed in this case, and the client is committed to telling the whole truth regarding the case and informing the lawyer about any change of address or phone number, and to remit all payments on time. Should the client fails to comply with the agreement in this contract, the lawyer will leave the case.

2. Both the client and the lawyer may end this contract at any time; they will agree whether the client owes fees for the work completed, whether the lawyer will refund some of the fees. The lawyer will charge $350.00 per hour of work.

3. Lastly, the client must understand that immigration laws are very complex and difficult and that under no circumstances it is easy, even if it may seem that way, and therefore success cannot be guaranteed in this case. However, the case will be fought using every possible legal resource.

Original

Cheers!

Senyu

From ignorance (despite my avatar), I would use something like this.

LEGAL SERVICES CONTRACT
IMMIGRATION AND CRIMINAL LAW

I, _______, agree to hire the services of lawyer _______ (Lawyer) to represent me in the following case: Withdrawal of 2-years permanent residence status. For this service I agree to pay the amount of $ _______ as fees. As of today, _______, I have paid , $ ________, I commit myself to pay the $ ______ balance in the following manner: ______ when we receive the appointment to attend an interview in San Bernardino, CA, or when we receive the approval of withdrawal for said status. This contract covers only and exclusively the service detailed above. In case of additional work, such as appeals, motions to reopen cases, etc., it will be discussed with the client to sign a new contract if required. The client is also committed to pay the immigration fees and costs this case requires. The fees above do not include the payment of immigration costs.

1. The lawyer commits to make every effort to succeed in this case and the client is commited to telling the whole truth about the case and to inform of any change of address or phone number, and to make the payments in time. Should the client not comply with the agreement in this contract, the lawyer will leave the case.

2. Both the client and the lawyer may end this contract at any time; they will agree whether the client owes fees for the work done or he receives a refund from the lawyer. The lawyer will charge $350.00 per hour of work.

3. Finally, the client must understand that immigration laws are very complex and difficult, and that under no circumstances it is easy, even if it might look that way, therefore success cannot be guaranteed in this case. However, we will fight by using all legal means possible.

20 días después
comx

Guys... Which is the best way to reply to someone through an email when than person tells you a bad new?

It's not for a personal email, it's for bussiness :P

Random conversation
3 respuestas
Mynkon

#2899 The second one, the first one doesn't make any sense xD

In fact, if you change fell* for feel* it sounds like you're making an excuse to not go somewhere, which I don't think is your objective (right?).

1 respuesta
B

#2900 Exactly, I thought the same thing about #2899

Mynkon

#2899 Oh ok, now I understand ahahahah. Yes, it's correct :)

1 respuesta
comx

#2902 But you're right when you said it's feel* :P (because of his health)

0nLy

someone could traduce me this in spanish please?

"I dont care as long as we hold hands or something at some point"

2 respuestas
cabron

No me importa si al final nos cogemos de la mano o algo parecido en algún momento.

También habría que ver el contexto ya que 'hold hands' (cogerse de las manos) puede no ser literal, y hacer referencia a cariño o amor.

1 2 respuestas
pike_97

#2905 Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't something like "No me importa con tal de que lleguemos a cogernos de la mano o algo en algún momento" be better? I just feel that this variant is less ambiguous, as the one that you said could be interpreted as "I don't care if we hold hands or something at some point". But then again, maybe it's just me :)

1 respuesta
Marjoram

#2906 Not like your wrong or anything, but as #2905 said we could use a little bit of context here. "To hold hands" could mean something else entirely depending on the context. But given the lack of background, that phrase has a few interpretations, ranging from sex to just literally hold hands.

Mynkon

#2904 translate**** x___D

JuanAnthony

Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this sun of Murcia,
and all the clouds that loured upon our house; in the deep bossom of the ocean buried.

14 días después
knaus90

time to return this thread, whats going on, the summer is comming and the trips in foreign too

1 respuesta
Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales