Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

comx

#3030 I used to watch movies V.O. for almost 3 years so I'm used to. Is about vocabulary in a general sense. But since 1 year approximately I don't have the patience for them. I tried to read some books but they had words which we don't use nowaday. It would be like reading Spanish during XVI century.

1 respuesta
B

#3031 well if you read the classics that's the vocabulary they're going to use, i don't think "modern" books have vocabulary that we don't use xD I just don't believe it.
If you don't have patience watching a VO movie, how much patience are you going to have learning from a book?
Because my other option is to grab a vocabulary book and do exercises.

Akairi

Hi! I'm a bit desperate and stressed because I need to get B2 level before middle of June and I think I don't even have the B1... so I have to study very hard and my question is: what would be better for me? Buying these books that cost an arm and a leg but have near 700 pages, or just looking for material on Internet? I don't know what to do.... maybe kill myself would be the best option XDD but I won't dot that obviously.
My problem is money and the fact that i'm going to "selectividad" at the same time so I don't have the time I would like to v.v

2 respuestas
rayka

#3033 If you need the B2 level, you should decide which exam are you going to take (FCE, EOI) and buy one of the book teachers usually use to prepare these exams: either Objective first or complete first if you're taking the FCE, or English File third edition advance if you prefer EOI.

You can also buy a vocabulary and grammar book, such as English vocabulary and grammar in use for FCE.

2 respuestas
cabron

You can watch a thread, in fact some tools use the word "watch" to activate monitoring new updates in threads/issues/whatever

1 respuesta
B

#3035 I thought in this context would be more suitable "visit" than "watch", but that's my opinion.

NosFeR_

I agree with cabron.

To me, 'visit' would imply actively visiting the thread in order to check updates, while using 'watch' implies you're going to, as cabron said; monitor updates in the thread.

1 respuesta
B

#3037 But he said "more often". If you monitor something you don't watch it "more often", you just watch it and wait for it to update or something.

1 respuesta
NosFeR_

#3038 true that. I wouldn't use it in that way.

Akairi

#3034 I'm not going to take an EOI exam but a test to join in a career so the university makes its own test, that's because I'm too hurried >.< I think I would repeat the test in september but I don't want to be the hole summer suffering and thinking about it v.v Fortunately the test doesn't have speaking so I think I can manage it if I forget what social life is xD
Maybe tomorrow I'll go to a bookstore that sells this kind of books to see what they have. I've been looking a few hour this afternoon on Internet, but there are so much information that is impossible to handle.

1 respuesta
sPNkKkKkKkKk

#3034 woultn't like to spend the hole summer....

18 días después
B

Saying something it's not what it is because the dictionary (or in this case google) says otherwise is reductionist

does this construction feel weird or something? does it even make sense?

I always get paranoid if, when posting on reddit, people start to downvote me and whine about silly things because I don't know if I'm translating grammatical constructions word by word, and thus rendering the text illegible, or it's just that they are that dumb.

jerys

#3040 In my university "Rey Juan Carlos" the oficial exam is TOEIC, it is not in a concrete "level". PET is B1, First B2 and Advanced C1. TOEIC measures all "transversely" (like they call). Like you see, my level is so poor and i have pased all test exams (so don worry too much). Take it easy! If you pass some exam, you can validate that asignature if your future university have TOEIC.

Good luck!

1 mes después
Adamassartus

Hey dear fellas, this thread seems a bit deflated don't you think? Where are the nonsensical ramblings and the mandatory dick measuring contests of who knows more learning by oneself?

Maybe I'm just bored or just waiting for the next GoT stream, but I remembered this place when I used to stalk here a couple of years ago as a funny thread instead of just exam requirement questions and grammar tips and tits...

I leave this here, I almost died laughing because when I was a kid in my school we had an ''''english'''' teacher who said foreign names in a similar fashion:

23 días después
B

What food or drink is it?

k n c e h i c = _______

1 respuesta
rayka

#3045 chicken?

BTW, I've just seen my B1 test marks, and luckily, I've passed :qq:

Now two more years to get the b2 :wtf:

B

I want to create a debate just for the sake of the thread.
So, with all that happened in Orlando the past week, do you think EEUU should put a ban on guns once and for all?

1 respuesta
Mynkon

#3047 To be honest, the Orlando shooting should've been the final straw. But then again, firearms are a huge business in America and America loves money, so yeah. I do think they should obviously ban guns, I just don't really think they ever will. At least not in the near future.

1 respuesta
zest

It's always the same story. Every time a shooting occurs -which is quite often by the way- the same debate revives for a week or so. I really hope they can ban guns soon, but there's still a huge opposition. And many other killings will follow before they can achieve it.

1 respuesta
B

#3048 I don't think they're just a huge business, they also see it as a right.
That really is a tricky part, because if you crackdown the laws on carrying guns, they'll feel you're threatening their rights.

#3049 I just think as Mynkon here, I don't think the Goverment will achieve a ban on guns, because it is not only the shootings, they have minor incidents too (baby shoots her/his mother/brother/whatever).
The problem is in the Goverment, Obama has majority in the Senate but the Congress is Republican xD

1 respuesta
Mynkon

#3050 True, true. But don't you think that people are just brainwashed nowadays to firmly believe it's a right just to keep the business going? Or something like that.
I don't know, it's crazy anyway. One of my dad's friends sleeps with a gun under his pillow "just in case". And he doesn't even live in a dangerous neighborhood or something. :psyduck:

1 respuesta
B

#3051 hahaha yeah, like the business made them believe that buying a gun is the best way to protect your family, they have internalized that thought.
But, I also think that they are so used to see/carry guns in some parts of USA that they don't really think about why they have or need one.

josepginer

To be able to teach here in Australia, I was asked for a 8 BAND on IELTS ACADEMIC TEST. I got the results a while ago. I did it. Unbelievable.

#3033 Try to do tests online. They are really helpful and also free ;D

CsNarsil

The USA will never ban guns. In fact, Canada has some laws about guns as flexible as The USA's ones. I'm not in favor of guns, but I do think people have a lot to do with these killings we are seeing almost monthly.

Now I'm giving you data about The USA's guns business (I think it's last year's data), so you can see why they won't ban them.

• $13.5 billion - Annual revenue of gun and ammunition manufacturing industry, with a $1.5 billion profit.

• $3.1 billion - Annual revenue of gun and ammunition stores, with a $478.4 million profit.

• 10,847,792 - The number of pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns and miscellaneous firearms manufactured in the U.S. in 2013, the latest full year available. That's 4,441,726 pistols, 725,282 revolvers, 3,979,570 rifles, 1,203,072 shotguns, and 495,142 miscellaneous firearms.

• 4% - Percentage of the above guns which were exported. Of those 10.84 million guns, 10,413,880 stay in America.

• 263,223 - Number of full-time jobs related to the firearm industry, up from 209,750 in 2012

• $42.9 billion - Estimated overall economic impact of the firearms and ammo industry in the U.S.

I really do think that the main problem of the USA's guns business is money, HUGE money, and they won't allow losing it.

Feel free to correct me about my grammar, and feel free to discuss this topic.

2 respuestas
B

Dude

1º As soon as I read the message I sent you hard copies. This sentence is ok? "Tan pronto como leí su mensaje le envié las copias en papel.

2º Actually is not a false friends?

2 respuestas
CsNarsil

#3055 As soon as I read your message I sent hard copies. Is this sentence ok?

La 2º no se muy bien que es lo que quieres decir.

1 respuesta
B

#3056 Creo que actually significa realmente.

Al menos así me corrigió una profesora en primero de carrera.

Gracias por la frase.

CsNarsil

Actually - realmente, en verdad, de verdad..

Lo que no entiendo es la traducción de la segunda frase, no le veo ningún sentido según está. Pon la frase en castellano así te echamos un cable a traducirla :P

1 respuesta
B

#3058 Ah, bueno...

La segunda lo decía porque no sé si querías decir en #3054 actualmente.

Es que estoy escribiendo a una persona de un departamento, y tengo la duda de si la estructura no será muy española:

Dear xxx,

As soon as I read your message I sent you hard copies.
Yes, I am planning on arriving early to sightseeing around Tokyo until x/x/x with two friends (xx, yy).

Thank you very much for your care and for being so kind in every moment.

Sincerely,

3 respuestas
B

#3055 yep, it's a false friend but I don't think he's using it with the Spanish meaning "actualmente" but with the English one "in fact"

#3054 yep, like Mynkon said it's a huge business there, so it seems they prefer some killings rather than banning guns.
That says a lot about them as a society, imho

#3059 to go sightseeing I think

2 respuestas
Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales