Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

CsNarsil
#3120Adamassartus:

'dead-rat-in-the-head'

First time I hear that expression, what's the meaning?

1 respuesta
Adamassartus

#3121 Implying he has obvious hair implants or a toupee that looks odd :P

1 respuesta
B

If your life was a movie, and it started now – forget about whatever financial disasters you’ve had, personal failures, relationship failures – what would the hero of your life’s movie do right now? Do that! Do those things. We define ourselves far too often by our past failures. We look at our past, and we say ‘Well, that’s me.’ That’s not you. You are this person right now. You’re the person who’s learned from those failures and you can choose to be the hero of your own movie right now.

Write down your goals. Write down things you wanna improve. Write down things you won’t tolerate from yourself. Write down things you’ve done in the past that you never wanna see yourself do again, and go forth, from here, as the hero of your own movie. Build momentum. Build confidence and momentum with each good decision that you make from here on out. Buy Alpha Brain™.
You can do it. Anyone can do it. We live in unique times. We live in one of the rarest times in human history, where you can choose almost all of the input that comes your way, whether it’s the movies that you watch, the books you read, the podcasts you listen to, you can choose to be inspired. Do that. Do that and be the hero of your own movie.

CsNarsil

#3122 Oh my god, hahaha, I didn't think about that even for a second.

On topic, I think I'd choose Clinton because she is the lesser evil. I'd like to know what's in the head of those Americans who are going to vote for Trump. Really, what's the point in voting for a racist, xenophobe... I mean, he's no better than a nazi.

Just an anecdote, So I was checking some videos on Facebook the last week and I randomly discovered a video of Trump where, I suppose he was a citizen or maybe a member of the republican party, asked if Trump was going to defend and honor the first amendment of the American constitution. After the question, Trump answered like 'Yeah, of course, I'll honor the first, the second, EVEN THE TWELFTH.

Here's the thing, there are only 7 amendments... So either he is an ignorant of his own country's constitution, or he's stupid enough to answer a question like that.

I could start enumerating things I dislike about Trump and I'd never end, for fuck's sake!

1 respuesta
Mirtor

#3124 There are 27 ratified amendments as of today. One of them was repealed (The banning of alcohol) There is a 12th amendment indeed, about presidential electiond procedures, ratified in 1804 according to Wikipedia.

1 respuesta
CsNarsil

#3125 Sorry, that was my bad, I was referring to Articles :)

7 días después
E

Hi guys! I didn't know this thread. I'm studying for my english exam now (b1 level). I'll try be present to improve my english. My speaking and writing not is good, any advice? Nice to be here :)

B

They see me rollin they hatin

B

#3118 Here are my two cents:
America is fucked either way.

Nah, I'm going to elaborate.

Trump has no limits, I don't buy the "I'm just honest" moto; he's not honest, he's just an asshole.
He has mocked disabled people, he has said ethnic slurs to most immigrant communities (imho, is very ironic because of his wife's background), the way he addresses his daughter is very creepy
very creepy indeed and so on...
Besides that, I don't think he is fit to run the highest position of the world, that is President of the United Stated, because let's not forget that is more or less to be the president of the world (we all know how economy works, lads), he has even said to Russia to continue hacking mails...
I could go on, but I made myself clear.

Hilary is there because I don't know why... Oh yes! I know! Because the Democratic party didn't want Sanders!, also the media were involved, putting Bernie's victories down making them not that big of a deal.
Then, she was dumb enough to do this
and this and when asked about it, she blatantly forgets to answer.
Yet, she has a lot more of experience about politics.

Even though Trump is the lesser evil, that doesn't make Hillary an angel.

News flash!
This piece of s*** has just implied that the people with arms should do something against Hillary https://youtu.be/EcxkkrNSv-4
"if she gets to pick her judges... Nothing you can do, folks. Although maybe the second amendment people maybe there is, I don't know"

• rough transcription because I don't fully understand the end.
9 días después
E

Hi guys! All ok? I just write a composition (b1 level) and I will like that you read it and You give me your opinions, it's this:

How has education changed in your country over the last 50 years?

Education is very important for a country. In Spain education has changed a lot of 50 years ago. Can you think how education in Spain was 50 years ago? You're not meant to answer this question right now then I going you tell you this for you can understand.

50 years ago, education was very religious. Religion’s subject was very important for the students. At present, this subject is optative and religion have not a lot of importance for marks. Before, the most important language was French and now is English. Boys and girls were in a different class. Nowadays, all go in the same class.

Education has changed a lot. I think that education is better now. The society is more advanced and tolerant than before, this is very nice for any country, but it need change more for next generations because in my opinion education can improve and all should work for that.

I know is a regular or bad composition for that I need your advices jejeje.

Thank you very much, regards!

1 respuesta
dadito

-You don't need to use "the" before education, religion, marks, french, english every time, you can just say the word by itself, don't try to translate directly from how you would say it on spanish, it's a really bad habit, but one hard to break

In Spain, my country, the education has changed a lot of since 50 years ago

Don't really need to add "my country" since it's implied by the question that you're talking about your home country, and also that "of" before since makes no sense so just take it out

Do not important you answer, I tell you this for you can understand.

To be honest i don't really know what you're trying to say here, but I guess it is a rhetoric question? If so, you should say something like:

You're not meant to answer this question, it is merely to reinforce the point I am about to make.

Still I wouldn't use a phrase like this on writing, it feels really unnatural, i'd say it's more of a resource one would use while speaking

50 years ago, in my country the education was very religious. The religion’s subject was very important for the students. Actually, this subject is optative and the religion have not a lot of importance for the marks. Before, the most important language was the French and now is the English. The boys and the girls were in a different class. Actually, all go in the same class.

Once again no need to use "in my country", nor add "the" to a lot of words

"Actually" doesn't mean "actualmente" in the sense you think it means, it's meaning is more like "realmente/en realidad"

So "actually" actually means another entirely different thing :D

have not a lot of importance

Wrong time, should use doesn't have

I'll leave the corrections on the last paragraph for you to fix with the clues i've given you, hope my comment helped you :wink:

1 respuesta
E

#3131 Hi dadito, thank you! You have helped me a lot. I have a lot of errors, sorry jejeje. When is it correct to use 'the' before education, french etc? Do you know? I'm confused with that. I have edited my last post with the correction.

I have done other compositions, it's this:

Hi Lucia,

When I was a children, I used to live in a village. Nowadays I am a young boy and I live in a big city. This is an experience that I have lived, then I am going to tell you advantages and disadvantages of city life regarding of village life.

If you live in a city its difficult get bored. There are many place where go and there are always a lot of people on the street. It’s very easy to meet with a friend and spend time together in a pub or in a park. I think this is an advantage because you can choice many different activities all time. On the other hand you need more money in a city because all is usually more expensive than in a village then this is not good. Other disadvantage is transport, when you want go anyplace you need to take a bus or a taxi.

Village life is a cheaper than city life and you don’t need take a bus or a taxi when you want go to visit a friend because you can go walking. This is a big advantage. Instead in a village its easy get bored because there are less people and less ‘social places’.

Definitely both are good to live, at present I prefer city life but that is only my opinion. What do you think about this topic? Do you prefer a city or a village? Tell me

Best regards

I will try to do one composition every day and I will posted here. If anyone want to read the compositions I will be grateful. Thanks to all

1 respuesta
B

#3132 the cannot be used before subjects (French, English...) , when is the subject of a sentence (i.e Education is good for you), with countries (i.e France, Spain excp: the USA, the Netherlands, the uk...) and that's all I can remember right now.
You need comas, there's not a single comma in your last composition and that's not good.
I think you should revise grammar a bit more, because some of the tenses are wrong.

1 respuesta
jorge96

Hi everyone. I'm introducing myself.
During the last two years i hadn't practise english at all, since a i left high school. This year i'm going to start my 3 year at university so is time to think about getting my b1 level as little, but i have in mind to get b2 or c1 for future jobs. Nowadays i try to watch all the tv series and read many articles in English, my listening has improved a lot such as my reading but to talk and write im so rusty, i can say that it's the first text i write since "selectividad". So I will try to spend time here from time to time. Greetings to all.

Pd. I had try to use some expressions i had never use before, i dont know if the result will be good.

1 respuesta
E

#3133 Thaks you for that information! :) For my next composition I will apply that tips.

#3134 Welcome jorge96, I have my b1 exam on september. Good luck! So I try your level is very good. I'm sure that you can pass b2 or c1 level with a little practice.

Regards

B

I'll try to comment here everyday too. Day by day I'm progressing in English. I don't have good expresion yet, but I'm feeling better than last week when I wrote in this language. Perhaps I'll do a lot of wrongs, however I hope these worngs don't be serius.

Here I go, I'm introducing myself too.

Nowadays I'm studiying asian studies in a japanese university: I speak japanese better than english, obviously, but I'm not studiying in japanese, but intensive japanese (in japanese) and other signatures in English. For that reason I need improve my English's level as soon as posible. In spite of that, during last month I have been to note (noting?)a great evolution in my level. It is possible thanks to 4 hours per day of study in the mornings, and, in the arfternoon, to wach films and other recurses in english.

How I said before, can be several wrongs in my speech, but I hope they don't be very serius. Tomorrow I'm going to comment about the day's theme. This is only a presentation.

ArticoDelSur

Hi everybody! I want to participe in this post although my english is very bad

I'm 18 and I've been studying English since 3 years ago, I signed up in my local EOI. I was very luckly because i had a seat. I started A1 and this year i'm going to try to pass B1 Certification Test. I can understand texts but when I try to write or speak i have big problems. For example, i can't understand "In,On,At". I've tried to study all rules, but i can't remember them :( Another problem I have is "There,Here,This,Those" I want to improve my english here, and try to comunicate with everybody if you can understand me jaja. Greetings to all

PD: Sorry for my faults :(

2 respuestas
Rester

Here, the scene where I heard the word WHINING (whine) for the first time in my life. You are welcome. Jijijiji

I'm considerably drunked/Stoned. Motherfuckerrrr

B

#3137 don't worry. That is possible to learn it in few weeks. You only need to practice everyday a few phrases.

Preposition are learning when you read very much.

B

#3137 everyone's welcome.
About in, on, at (place) imagine is like a fridge.
in what's inside.
on what's on the door.
at the place the fridge is.

in, on, at (time) are easier, so do a few exercises and you're good.

Let's try to do an easier topic, Do you think people will go to vote on Christmas?

1 2 respuestas
Mirtor

#3140 Hardly. Lots of people aren't even at home on Christmas, and those who are will be either asleep (morning) or drunk (afternoon). We may see the highest postal vote of Spanish history, and I don't know if that's good.

1 respuesta
ArticoDelSur

#3140 I think that 25th december is the worst day to make an elections, as #3141 said, most of people will be travelling or they will be tired, and the last think they are going to think, is to be going to vote . And we need to think that it will be our 3er elections in a year and people are going to think (now more) that policy is a joke and participation will be low.

I hope that politicals are going to be agree and they're going to avoid an 3rd elections....

B

The thing is, if you know you're not going to be able to cast a vote, you should start moving and do it by postal.

I think the 25th is a bad day for what it implies, it's a happy family day, full of joy and presents, people won't interrupt their happy day to go voting.

ArticoDelSur

I hope that Goverment is going to change date.... I can believe that 25th December maybe we are going to have an national election jaja And a fun fact is that the investidure is one week later, elections will be on New Year jaja

cristofolmc

I won't be home on Christmas but away with my all my family and grandpas. But I understand you can use the post services to cast your vote before the election day is that right? I don't even know if it's worht it and if it going to require a shitload of paperwork I'm not going to do it. So if it is simple procedure I will, if it isn't im not even gonna bother and wait to the fourth election.

1 respuesta
Eadlyn

hey, im looking for a book to improve my english skills and i have seen these ones:

https://www.amazon.es/English-Vocabulary-Pre-intermediate-Intermediate-Answers/dp/0521149894/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8TVG5031DZ8WWVXC6TKF

https://www.amazon.es/English-Grammar-Supplementary-Exercises-answers/dp/3125345782/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TJET6AAGTAQK2BEQ1QDB

i have a b1-b2 level and next year i want to do the b2 exam, has anyone tried these books?

B

#3145 maybe you should try an go to Correos and inform yourself about it.
I think it's not the same for those who live here than for those who are living abroad.

1 respuesta
cristofolmc

#3147 Yeah Ill probably do that. That was my main concern. In that case I will likely go and vote. The post office is across my street so that wont be a problem ; )

Simdrom

I think if we have to vote on 25th december there will be a lot of abstentions because so much people thinks that is complicated to vote by postal. But the problem for me is not this is the people who will be obliged to be on the tables as president and those things, because there will be a lot of people who won't be in their cities.
I also think that if we have new elections and the date is on 25th december we will face to the elections with the highest abstention of the history.

7 días después
B

Hey everyone!
I was granted permission to create a new one, so let's move there!
http://www.mediavida.com/foro/estudios-trabajo/official-thread-to-practise-english-v2-567214#1

Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales