Clicker Heroes 2 no será F2P por motivos éticos

Alberteban

Clicker Heroes 2, la secuela del famoso juego idle/incremental sorprendió a mucha gente con una nota especial de los desarrolladores que acompañaron la apertura de las pre-orders del juego:

Why Clicker Heroes 2 is abandoning free-to-play

We had to choose one of two models: Paid upfront like traditional games, or free-to-play with a real-money shop like Clicker Heroes 1. We chose paid upfront, for $29.99 (fully refundable for a year after launch), and we are in a situation where we have to explain ourselves to a massive number of players who were expecting/hoping for a free sequel. There are several reasons why we are making this decision.

Ethical reasons

Games are inherently addictive. That alone is not a bad thing, until it gets abused. In Clicker Heroes 1, we never tried to abuse players with our real-money shop, and for the most part we designed it without the shop in mind so that you never have to purchase rubies to progress. Despite this, we found that some number of players spent many thousands of dollars on rubies. I can only hope that these people could afford it, and that they were doing it to support us, and not to feed an addiction. But I strongly suspect that this is not the case.

We made a lot of money from these players who spent thousands. They are known to the industry as "Whales". Great. If you're rich, please be my guest. But we don't want this kind of money if it came from anyone who regrets their decision, if it made their lives significantly worse as a result. Unfortunately, those who have a problem are usually in denial about it, and would be too ashamed to ask us for a refund. We would give the refund in a heartbeat. It's not like we have artists drawing each ruby by hand. It costs us nothing but payment processing fees.

We really don't like making money off players who are in denial of their addiction. And that's what a large part of free-to-play gaming is all about. Everyone in the industry seems to rationalize it by shifting the blame, assuming way too much cognizance on the part of their victims. People can make their own decisions, right? But it just doesn't sit well with me. Despite very few of our players having complained, it felt wrong when we started doing it and it still feels wrong now.

That said, we're not going to change how we monetize Clicker Heroes 1. It would destroy our studio if we did. Most people are OK with how we've handled it. Our unlimited refund policy still stands. But going forward we're going to at least try the paid-up-front model for our business. It may or may not work. It probably isn't worth nearly as much money, but at least we can do it with a cleaner conscience.

Game design reasons

We want the experience to be good. The mere existence of real-money purchases puts an ugly cloud over the player's experience, with the persistent nagging feeling of "My game could be so much better if I just spent a few dollars". That alone feels terrible.

Also, if we have a real-money shop, we are limited to only rebalancing the game in ways that people who just spent money would approve of. People paid real money to get the current state of their game where it is at, and they've developed an expectation that it would be good for a long time. If we make changes to the game that are better for the game but feel worse for any one particular player at any stage of the game, we get backlash from that player. We've experienced this many times in the past. As a result, Clicker Heroes 1 is kind of a frankenstein of a game, our hands always having been tied by the fact that we couldn't easily change things that people paid for.

With Clicker Heroes 2, we plan to work on at least a few major updates without too much regard to player progress, similar to the way Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, Factorio, and other games do. New updates can change the game to be incompatible with old saves (which will be rare, maybe once or twice a year), and there will be plenty of advance warning when it happens. Players then have the option to continue playing on the old version, or start fresh on the new version. To help make things more interesting, Clicker Heroes 2 is designed with multiple characters for you to choose from. So when you start fresh on one of these updates, you can play a different character, which will be a much different experience.

Also, we like games with mods and we want mods. Real-money shops make little sense with mods, when you can just download a mod to quadruple the number of rubies you get. Also, it is simply too easy to cheat. To facilitate modding, we would be giving lots of easy access to the source code, and very easy save editing.

Ridote

ROLF, no me lo esperaba. Igual es una estrategia para que la gente diga: conio que buena gente voy a comprarlo. Ni de conia pago 30 pavos por un clicker, aunque el refund de un anio no esta mal.

1 respuesta
tDarka

#2 Mas me sorprende que puedas devolver la pasta cuando quieras del Clicker. Aunque bueno, si el 'juego' es 'estupido' ya pagar en este tipo de juegos no se... Pero bueno la verdad es que la politica de devolucion 10/10 para ellos.

En cualquier caso nunca podre decidirme si quien juega a estos juegos es gente con mucho tiempo libre o totalmente al reves, gente con nada de tiempo libre.

-Crack-

Curro en la industria mobile, con juegos F2P, y no puede tener más razón este pollo. Por desgracia van a ganar mucho menos dinero con ese modelo, y si no hay motivos ocultos, me parece una decisión muy honorable.

Ryok

Antes me engancho a un MMORTS de navegador que pagar 30 pavos por un clicker.

EuRyNomE

Pues a mí me parece un acto de honradez brutal teniendo en cuenta los tiempos que corren dentro del mundillo de los videojuegos.

Un 10 para esta gente.

Igneox

Si lo hubieran puesto a 5 euritos a lo mejor colaba. Pero 30 euros no lo pago ni por un triple A lo voy a pagar por esto.

Bouzas

Menuda hostia se van a pegar

NgNvNn

Eyvindur

El único Héroes 2 es este:

1 respuesta
YaW

Me parece una locura 30 pavazos por el juego que es, por mucho que hayan mejorado con respecto al 1 (que tampoco creo que sea TANTISIMO).

A ver qué tal les sale la jugada. Al menos están consiguiendo bastante repercusión con esto.

1 respuesta
tDarka

#10 Le falta una I
#11 Por avaricia no creo que sea... Quiero decir que yo sin tener mucha idea también pienso que ganarían mas con el F2P. En cualquier caso eso lo sabrás mas tu.

sefirus

30 euros humm, no

Usuarios habituales

• tDarka
  • YaW
  • Eyvindur
  • Bouzas
  • EuRyNomE
  • -Crack-
  • Ridote