Official thread to practise English v.2.

Normas básicas / Basic rules

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará. // No essays. We are not here to do your homework
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará. // You must write about the topic. If you want to ask something you must contribute to the thread
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará //Do not ask for resources

ududud

#180 I see, by the way, Happy new Year to everyone!

About the resolution, In my case I have a lot! The most important is start working on web developer after the erasmus end, I'll need to start gaining experience as soon as possible, next, other important point of my live right now is keep on coming to an some fitness class that I've been 1 year, I'm still motive and carry on with some running/trail races since I started with this a few months ago, also I would like to start to any calisthenics exercises and continue to improve it.

1 respuesta
B

Happy new year!

#180 Why only 5? Is it because you may not have the time or because you may not have the habit?

#181 If I may correct you, I will put it inside the spoiler the correction with a few notes :)

spoiler

My resolutions are very simple:
Keep on working and live my life as happily and tranquil as possible, as well as to see my niblings grow up healthily and happily.

2 1 respuesta
DonRamon069

#182 A bit of both. I study and work so it's rather hard for me and barely have any time during the weekdays. Do you have any book recommendations?

1 respuesta
B

#183 Not really. I used to read a lot but nowadays it's hard for me to find time to do it.
I'm with The Witcher saga right now due to the TV series but aside from that... I have read the first of The Long Earth series from Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter, and I'm half way through the sencond but, ugh, gosh it's so dull.

Petricor

Hi everybody.

I am taking a look over the prepositions and their types. Right now, I am with prepositions of time. I know the main are: in, on and at but I think there are a few more about this type like for, since or by.

I have looked on several websites but neither of them match with the amount of prepositions. Could you help me? Or that list is enough?

I just wanna a list with their meanings according to the type of preposition, i.e.:

• In as preposition of time (meaning),
  • In as preposition of place (meaning).

Regards,

1 respuesta
B

#185 Hi!
For and since are only used to specificy the duration of the action, that's why they're used with the present perfect, not a time (like clock time).

This is how I used to explain prepositions and I think it's very good:

I would make some changes to make it more understandable like: Holidays with "day".
It's on Christmas day because it's a date. (25th December), but at Christmas because it's a period of time/holidays. Same with Easter, I wouldn't say in the Easter Holidays, tbh.

9 2 respuestas
Hiervan

#186 Nice picture!! It's very understandable. I hate prepositions...

1 respuesta
B

#187 Yep, I wish they explained prepositions like that to me when I was younger. I had to learn most of them by heart, and the rest I learnt them by teaching them! hahahaha

Petricor

#186 Hey!

Seems we have used the same picture :joy:

The fact is that I know the main are in, on and at, but I would like if they don't obviate the rest (like around, throughout, since...) which are also used as prepositions of time.

#18621415:

I would make some changes to make it more understandable like: Holidays with "day".
It's on Christmas day because it's a date. (25th December), but at Christmas because it's a period of time/holidays. Same with Easter, I wouldn't say in the Easter Holidays, tbh.

Yeah I think I got that part. I have been doing some exercises from then and that part is pretty fine :grinning: Now is time time to remember all of them.

I think tomorrow I will continue with prepositions of place.

1 respuesta
B

#189 yeah, but they're mainly prepositions, they're only purpose is not time but period of time, you know?

The main and most used prepositions to define time are in, on and at. Throughout defines a period in which the action will be carried out (throughout the day, the week, etc), same with since/for. They mark a period of time for an action (since may, for 20 years), they don't specify as in, on, at. And like I said in my previous post, for and since are only used (with exceptions, as always) with the present perfect tense.

Gosh, I'm sorry I may have explained it weirdly. I promise I was a good teacher. 😂😂😂

2 1 respuesta
Petricor

#190 nope, it's perfect. I understood what you meant 😂😂

Petricor

First at all, if this is not the proper topic, let me know.

For those who want to improve this topic we're talking about (prepositions of time) I wrote some notes that I hope they will be useful for all of you guys.

Prepositions of time

• A preposition of time is a preposition that allows you to discuss a specific time period (nos indican cuándo sucede una acción).

Something that you may not know

• If after a preposition comes a verb, it goes in gerund:
    • I am sorry for being late.

As @21415 said: in, at, and on are the mainly, but there are many others we can use to indicate a period of time. I am going to hide them in a spoiler tag so you have to deploy it.

I am not going to explain how use the mainly since we have, above, an explanatory image. Therefore:

spoiler

If you wanna practice this link has some exercises. Even if they are stupid, just do them.

And this is a huge "test".

4 1 respuesta
B

#192 This is very awesome!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write the post! It's superb!!

10 días después
Petricor

Hi folks!

I was reading a book in English when I found a sentence which I felt pretty curious (gramatically talking) and I want to know to which does it reference.

His head continued to hurt.

I mean, I don't understand the use of 'to'. Is it following the verb 'continue' or Is it preceding the verb 'hurt'?

I know this seems pretty stupid but for me it isn't, I want to know if this is a passive voice if not, which tense it is or which rule does it follows.

The closest answer I have found is that: 'continue' and 'continue to' have the same meaning. Depends on the writer.

1 respuesta
B

#194 So it's part of the grammar bit of verb followed by to or ing.
(Continue doing/Continue to do)

In this case, continue has no preference nor change in meaning when you use continue +ing/continue to +v. Reference

So, yeah, its use depends on the speaker and the region/country they live.

20 días después
Petricor

Hello everybody,

Do you know or do you use any application to chat (practice english - written)?
The good part is, unless a videocall, you don't have to answer immediately, so if there are some words you don't know you can take time to reply and note those words.

Thanks,

2 respuestas
rayka

#196 just telegram. However, sometimes the groups are quite quiet. For long texts and to get them corrected, lang8 was great.

1 respuesta
Petricor

#197 oh great. Are you in any of those telegram-groups?

Mirtor

#196 Why don't you try reddit or ant other English language forum board?

1 respuesta
Petricor

#199 That's a good idea. I heard reddit it's pretty good as forum, do you know any other?

Thanks!

1 respuesta
Mirtor

#200 I don't know... Perhaps if you have some kind of niche interest you can find some site dedicated to it, but in general you can find some ridiculously niche stuff on reddit.

3 meses después
Y

Hello guys, I haven't touched an english book since I was at school (20 years ago).

Recently I began to study by myself and I know it'll be quite difficult but I'll try it anyway.

I do two speaking classes a week and I study grammar by myself.

I hope you can help me with my doubts.

4 respuestas
Li3cht

#202 Embrace the darkness

ududud

#202 How are your speaking classes?

1 respuesta
Mirtor

#202 Your post doesn't look too bad, I'd say you will do alright. Feel free to drop by if you want. It'd be nice to breath life into this thread.

Rivendel

#202 of course, mate, anything for a quokka fan like myself!

Y

#204 Generally I usually do free speech but sometimes my teacher choose an issue to talk about it. It´s very difficult to talk to somebody when you haven´t done it for so long but "bit a bit" I will achieve my goals.

Grammatically I dont usually have problems but when I have to talk to somebody it´s a horror.

Bit a bit is correct?

2 respuestas
Petricor

#207 It's correct, it is also little by little.

garlor

#207 chooses instead of choose
subject instead of issue would probably be a better choice
It´s very difficult to talk to somebody when you haven´t done it for so long but "bit a bit" I will achieve my goals. <- this entire phrase sounds weird, maybe something along the lines "It feels awkward talking with somebody when you aren't used to it ( or maybe just "after so long" ) but bit by bit I'll make it. little by little is absolutely right too, but just so you would see you were not that far off.

also you make sentences too long, like "when I have to talk to somebody" can be easily and less awkwardly changed by a simple "speaking is"
Grammatically I dont usually have problems -> I don't usually have problems with grammar

You are clearly making too much literal translation from spanish to english, you are not used to reading/listening english, read books where people speaks, watch movies, tvshows.

this is typical in spanish learners, we are taught words and verbs, but nobody explains to us how to make a proper phrase with them.

1 1 respuesta
Y

#209 Thank you!!

Usuarios habituales