Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

daimped

I've played football means " Yo he jugado al futbol "

I played football means " Yo jugué al fútbol "

For example:

I haven't played football since two years algo

I played football yesterday

That's my opinion

How much time took to the teachers correct the B1 exam (paper based)

FRJ8

My book of English says:

The difference between the present perfect and the past simple is that we use the present perfect when we are thinking about time before or up to now, whereas we use the past simple when we are thinking about a specific past time.

1 respuesta
B

#2432 It's very simple.
Present perfect -> something it's not finished.
I have gone to many concerts -> You haven't stopped going and probably you will go to many more.

Past simple -> something it's finished.
I broke a glass yesterday

The past simple will always have a time adverb

• Yesterday
  • Last day/week/month
It3m

#2430 In my experience I have noticed that present perfcet normally is less used than the past simple by natives, anyway you will be understood if it matches. There is no secret for this, alongside you get used to english you build your own structures and step by step you are able to combine them by simple association.

I have always believed every native speaker (whatsoever the language he speaks) learnt being a baby from listening during years like if it were a blank book, do not mix languages, at the academy you will learn fixed structures, making it harder in my opinion.

#2435 just like that, but if anything you don't know how to pronounce a word and you have the chance to practise with some natives don't be afraid from making mistakes... it is the best way to improve :D There is also a very interesting book about pronunciation with audio very useful, if anybody needs it I can upload it.

1 2 respuestas
menolikeyou

#2434 I was just wondering... How do you spell whatsoever?

[wɒtsəʊ'evəʳ]

I like the adverb, but it sounds awkward :/

3 respuestas
yuan

#2425 Thanks mate for help me to correc my essay.

#2427 Yes, I will begin from A1 but My level isn't good, perhaps I will can pass of level without if they see me advanced.

#2429 Hello, I looked it in the list that they showed on Jun and I have already given the enrolment, I only have choose the schedule on September.

B

#2434 whatsoever? O.o
It looks... weird there. Personally, I would have put whichever

#2435 it sounds awesome! :P

2 respuestas
menolikeyou

#2437 I like eating vowels. Maybe that's why it sounds weird :d

Now try this one: Fort Lauderdale. Same thing. [fɔərt ˈlɔːdərdeɪl] :regan:

Awesome city, btw.

It3m

#2437 right, there are some alternatives fitting in there

Mad_Kiwi

#2430 You may find this useful http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/studyzone/410/grammar/ppvpast.htm

B

This afternoon i have to go to the cinema with my girlfriend, we will watch snowpiercer in original version, i just hope that my listening be enough for understand the movie and dont be during 2hours with this face :/

#2435 lol more awkward than awkward? i really hate have to say that word xDD or any word finished in "-tion"

2 respuestas
Mad_Kiwi

#2441 I wouldn't say "I have to go to the cinema" unless you work there. You are going there because you can and you want but you are not forced to though. "I'm going to the cinema with my girlfriend this afternoon" sounds much better

1 respuesta
frandqt

#2442 Well, it looks like his girlfriend is "forcing" him somehow xD. You know, is so easy to convince others being a woman hahah.

#2441 One month ago I went to the cinema and saw an O.V movie for first time. It was Despicable Me 2 (Gru, mi villano favorito 2). Althought is supposed to be easy to understand, i missed some things. Enjoy the movie :)

1 respuesta
B

#2443 exactly xDD it was a command

Finally im at home after a long and very warm day, around 35 degrees with 85% humedity... WTF... the movie was good but at the end, when it was the time for all the explainations i couldnt follow well the conversation, i guess that i will watch later in spanish or with subs at least :D

menolikeyou

I just gobbled an awesome cherry milkshake :9

I saw a handful of ripe cherries and I decided to make a milkshake out of them. You should totally try this!!

B

How's the week so far, guys!?
I hope it's been a great week for all of you and the weekend is going to be even better :)

yuan

I have found a web is very well, I leave you the link for you have a look.

http://www.wlingua.com/

1 1 respuesta
W

#2447 Is it free?

1 respuesta
Shikoku

Which dou you prefer, american english or UK english?

1 respuesta
menolikeyou

#2449 Australian English :)

1 respuesta
Shikoku

#2450 Meh that seems to me a mix between the other 2 xD

yuan

#2448 Only for a time is premiun, around of a month, after they give you the basic count.

yuan

Which is the different between another and other?

1 respuesta
P

#2453 That's funny because if you read your sentence quickly it sounds another another.

Haha.

1 respuesta
yuan

#2454 The question is that's same.

elanol

What do you think about doing an academic course abroad with EF?? I´m going to do my last year in the engineering, and I´m thinking in doing a master abroad while I improve my English.

1 respuesta
rockfuck666

Hey people!Today I've been talking with an English native speaker, and she has told me the expression "once on a blue cloud". Is this expression right?On the one hand, I know the expression "once in a blue moon", which means "rara vez" o "de higos a brevas", but on the other hand, if a native speaker has told me that, it should be correct. What do you think?

#2456 I think it's a very good idea, 'cause learning English and improving it is pretty useful. By the way, it's "I'm thinking of doing", not "thinking in doing" :P

1 respuesta
M

#2457 I've never come across that expression but I heard "once in a blue moon" a few times.

By the way, not sure if it will be this year or the next one, but I'm going to London for a week but I was not sure about ordering an hostel with 4-6 people. Myy main objective is using the language as much as I can with locals or travellers , but it will be the first time that I'm travelling all by myself without parents or teachers.

I don't want to do the normal tourism travel where you see a few well-known landmarks and you are lonely all the time. Though I heard bad things about hostels about the cleanliness and all that stuff.

Have you ever travelled that way (in hostel and all that stuff)? What's your experience?

1 respuesta
Djony

#2458 They're genly ppl, but anyway get ready for fluently speaked english ( Great Britain english is not like american, its more like... gently? ). I recommend you ( if you got B1-B2 english ) to have an dictionary because you will understand it but sometimes you will be like... ¿ ha dicho esto o lo otro? and it's not really funny situation...

cp3

what it´s means phd?

2 respuestas
Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales