Starting to Stretch. Deja de ser un palo.

HeXaN

Starting To Stretch

Starting To Stretch is our own full-body flexibility program that was designed for r/flexibility beginners!

It consists of 10 stretches divided into 2 equal parts (upper body and lower body). The focus of the program is on inflexible beginners and their typical needs: Shoulders, Thoracic Spine, Hips, Hamstrings, Wrists and Calves. Almost every of the exercises can be progressed to a specific skill if done long enough.

Follow Along: You can follow along the whole routine with this video!

Cheat Sheet here: .png | .pdf

Programming

Do this program 2-3 times a week! It will take 30 minutes. If you have time issues, you can switch between upper and lower body.

The stretching protocol is to be done in the following order. Try to go a little deeper each time after the bumping movements.

• Do 10 small gentle bumping movements into the stretch
  • Hold the stretch for 10 seconds
  • Hold the stretch for 20 seconds
  • Hold the stretch for 30 seconds
  • Done. Don't forget to breathe!

The Stretches

Upper Body (Video)

• Shoulder Backbend | The shoulder backbend focuses on shoulder overhead flexibility. This is important for many weightlifting exercises, but also for handstands and hand-balancing. It is also important for shoulder health, especially when older. Stand up with a straight bodyline, tense your butt muscles and move your arms overhead. Move your arms backwards without losing the straight bodyline. (Video)

• Spine Backbend | The spine backbend focuses on thoracic spine mobility. If you ever dreamt of doing bridges on the floor, this is your exercise. A good thoracic spinal mobility can be progressed into all kinds of fancy exercises. Place your palms (or fingertips) on your shoulderblades and tense your butt. Now lean back without arching your lower back and move the arms. You can bend the knees a little. (Video)

• Rear Hand Clasp | Did you ever want to scratch your back but couldn't reach the spot because you lacked behind-the-back flexibility? This is your exercise. It's good for your shoulderblades and to counter long sitting periods. This stretch is very important for upper body posture aswell! Get into a straight bodyline. Take a towel, a band or a t-shirt and grab both ends with your arms. One arm is overhead and one is behind the back. The upper arm pulls the lower arm gently into the stretch. Pull upwards. (Video)

• Lying Cross | The lying cross is a stretch that is aimed at people with poor posture. Start on all fours and move one arm below the other arm until your shoulder touches the floor. To deepen the stretch, lay down on the floor and extend the non-stretched arm to the front. (Video)

• Wrist-Biceps Stretch | This stretch works on your wrist flexibility and stretches your forearms, your biceps and your deltoid muscles. Stand next to a wall and place your palms on it. Fingers pointing backwards. Now straighten your arm and twist your upper body to the opposite direction. (Video)

Lower Body (Video)

• One-Leg Pike | This stretches your hamstrings. Most people that sit on a computer all day have tight hamstrings, because those muscles are very tensed in a chair-sitting position. When you stretch them regularily, you can take load off your lower back. Flexible hamstrings progress into the pike stretch. Place your foot on a chair and lean forward with a straight back. If you're advanced enough to touch your toes with a straight back (!), then you can progress to the standing version of the stretch. (Video)

• Kneeling Lunge | The kneeling lunge works on your hamstrings, your quads and your hip muscles like the iliopsoas. This is the most important stretch to gain flexibility for the front splits. Place one foot in front of you and extend it slowly with a straight back. Use your hands to balance yourself properly. (Video)

• Pancake | The pancake stretches your hamstrings and your leg adductors. With strong leg adductors, you will have it much easier in martial arts and all dance moves. It also looks really cool in the full progression. Sit on the floor with a straight back and extend the legs to both sides. Lean forward. (Video)

• Butterfly | A strong butterfly is a prequisite for the lotus sit. Sit on the floor with a straight back and move your soles together. Grab them with your hands and gently pull forward with a straight back. Try to bring your knees to the floor. If that's not yet possible, feel free to place a pillow under your knees. (Video)

• Calf Stretch | Many people neglect their calf muscles, although it is necessary to give your calves some love. Tight calves love to cramp and hurt. It can prevent heel spurs and all kind of degenerative feet diseases to regularily stretch and strengthen your feet muscles. Grab something and bend one knee forward. Extend the back leg and try to push the heel into the ground. (Video)

Frequently Asked Questions

Why didn't you include [insert stretch]?!

Starting To Stretch is meant to give you the best "bang for your buck" and focuses on the most common problem areas. Feel free to insert your own specific stretch into the program!

How often should i do this program?

A good starting point would be two times a week. If you have the time, do it three times a week! If you lack time, split it up into upper and lower body and do both once a week.

Can i do this every day?

Absolutely! However, if you feel pain or discomfort, do it a bit less. Your muscles need rest too and stretching is taxing your nervous system quite hard.

I have medical condition [insert here], can i do the program?

There's no one-size-fits-all answer for this one. Ask on the subreddit and people will make sure to help you with your specific problem.

When should i do the program?

Any time when you are relatively stress free is perfect. When your mind is relaxed, stretching is easier. Don't do it before a workout, because it increases injury risk. After a workout is fine!

I don't like this stretch: [insert stretch], can i replace it with something else?

Absolutely! You won't benefit from stretches that you don't do, because you hate them. Switch them up as much as you like and need.

Fuente: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/92bhaj/we_over_at_rflexibility_created_a_new_fullbody/

Wotanz

Cuando he leído "palo" lo he asociado a cuerpo escombro y me he emocionado por un momento

Josepanaero

Parece que han dejado de recomendar la antigua (Starting Stretching), pero no han dado ningún motivo por el cual hayan hecho eso. Me imagino que será porque la antigua llevaban sin actualizar los links varios años y la mayoría no funcionaban, pero aún así es una buena rutina para principiantes. Aquí dejo un par de links de la antigua por si a alguien le interesa:

https://phrakture.github.io/starting-stretching.html

B

He leido "deja de ser un pato" . Me siento traicionado.

NeV3rKilL

Si duermes en lying cross cuenta como stretching?

11 días después
Miklosi

¿Hexan, lo has probado? Si lo compartes supongo que es porque te parece una buena rutina de estiramientos no? Pregunto porque tengo una flexibilidad horrible y llevo un tiempo con la mosca detrás de la oreja pensando que me apetece trabajar en ello, y ver que tú compartes esto creo que me va a dar el empujón que me faltaba para motivarme a hacerlo.

1 respuesta
HeXaN
#6Miklosi:

¿Hexan, lo has probado?

No, yo no la necesito.

#6Miklosi:

Si lo compartes supongo que es porque te parece una buena rutina de estiramientos no?

Sí. Son ejercicios clásicos que siempre funcionan.

Chamborz

Hace poco pregunté en el hilo para novatos que si lo podía compaginar con el entreno del gym y me dijiste que no hexan, pero leyendo aquí dice que lo puedes hacer a diario y tal pascual, jajaja estoy confundido

1 respuesta
HeXaN

#8 Yo te dije que lo adecuado es hacerlo lo más alejado del entreno que se pueda.

1 respuesta
EdwardElric

pillo sitio

NocAB

#9 ¿Por qué lo dices?

Y pensaba que esto ya estaba superado:

#1HeXaN:

When should i do the program?

Any time when you are relatively stress free is perfect. When your mind is relaxed, stretching is easier. Don't do it before a workout, because it increases injury risk. After a workout is fine!

Nunca buscaría fuerza máxima después de entrenar la flexibilidad pero si uno se enfoca en mejorar la movilidad no veo ningún problema.

En cambio me sorprende que lo aconsejen para después.

manurivas

Si quieres trabajar movilidad antes del entreno no haces estiramientos y te renta mas darle al foam y listos

2 respuestas
NocAB

#12 No estoy de acuerdo, depende de los objetivos de cada uno.

El masaje con foam roller disminuye la tensión muscular (de la fascia principalmente) pero no genera aumentos reales de ROM. (Destacando lo de reales, puntuales por quitar tensión sí.)

F

#12 Estiramientos pasivos también presentan beneficios cuando es menos de 30 segundos. Activos por descontado. Pero claro, no es un entrenamiento de flexibilidad per sé, es calentamiento xD. Por lo tanto foam, pasivos, activos, etc etc etc tiene que estar presente.

Alberteban

Me hacía falta algo así, a favs que va

vene-nemesis

Para qué sirve la flexibilidad, lo pregunto realmente en serio.

Me gusta la rutina, probablemente la use para transicionar a yoga.

3 respuestas
HeXaN
#16vene-nemesis:

Para qué sirve la flexibilidad

Para poder autofelarte sin esfuerzo alguno.

3 1 respuesta
vene-nemesis

#17 desde la experiencia, en esa postura no se puede respirar por la contracción del abdomen, como mucho te da para metertela en la boca justo cuando te corres y darte unos lametones, pero la felación completa es inviable sin haber perfeccionado la apnea.

1 respuesta
-Shaydund-

#16 Mas que la flexibilidad lo importante es la movilidad.

Con movilidad puedes hacer unos movimientos correctos y parece ser que ayuda a disminuir la artrosis.

Fíjate los abuelos, todos anquilosados, cada vez más quietos, cada vez más rígidos...un círculo vicioso.

F

#16 Prevención de lesiones, mecánicas mejoradas, reducción del dolor, mejor recuperación, aumento del rendimiento, fardar/ligar entre los yoguis, poder lamerte el falo, etc

1 respuesta
B

#20 eso y hacer que cualquiera mastique tu 44

Yo prefiero mi programa. Básicamente el novato muere estirando durante dos semanas a manos de uno de mis alumnos veteranos. Si sobrevive es digno de que lo acepte y empiezo a torturarlo yo.

1 1 respuesta
F

#21 Por supuesto, si alguien se te pone bobo y quieres soltarle un nako chagui hay que estirar. Se me había pasado ese perk.

warKa

#18 parece que no tienes suficiente experiencia.

FraNKzZ

Hacía tiempo que quería ponerme a ello pero siempre me ha dado pereza buscar info o rutinas, y esta la acabo de hacer y me he dado cuenta de que soy un palo de hierro. Pasado mañana más y mejor.
Hexan como siempre, aportando cosas positivas.

Usuarios habituales