Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

Zius

Hey guys i need some help, im looking for a web or something to make an english level exam (like IETLS or TOFEL) but free, just for make me an idea of my actual level of english. Can you recomend me any page or method? Thanks

1 respuesta
hilde

Are you sure the app's name is "Any Chat"?, I don't find it.

I have a subject on English for practising TOEIC in the University and the teacher recommended us these links, which are also available for those level exams:
http://www.english-test.net/ (TOEFL)
http://www.examenglish.com/ (IELTS & TOEFL)
http://selfaccess.com/ (IELTS & TOEFL)

1 1 respuesta
9 días después
Nclass1fireD

#2852 Sorry. It is "Any Talk". I typed it wrong.

gunloK

Local english academy is trying to pass local teachers as natives:

What a shame.

3 respuestas
Mynkon

#2854 Wow, best Irish accent EUW.

Can't you press charges against that? :_

B

#2854 every English evening school tries to pass their English teachers as natives, otherwise you would never go there to learn.

Narop

lol I do live in Ireland and that´s by far the worst fake native accent I´ve ever seen, omg... is that for real?

diabloykiss

#2854 spañistan

16 días después
comx

Hi guys, I've got a question.. Did I write well this phrase?: do not doubt to contact me.

1 respuesta
lidiota

#2859 Do not hesitate to contact me

Ezkaia

Hey there. Has anyone obtained the CPE? I was thinking about studying it on my own with the Objective Proficiency, Common Mistakes... kind of books and also with the help of an experienced tutor once a week to improve the speaking but I was afraid I couldn't reach it. Has anyone succeed with a similar method? Also, are 4 months enough to prepare it? Thanks!

1 respuesta
Kartalon

#2861 I got the CPE about two years ago and if you have a good enough level of English and you have a good grammar you should not worry at all. To prepare for the exam I mainly spent four evenings the week before the exam meeting with a native professor of English at the University of Salamanca. We went through all the most common grammar issues, practised my speaking and writing, and in the last session he had prepared a list with the most commons mistakes I had been making so I would pay attention to those in the exam.

I intended to prepare for the exam on my own but I think this was way better because it allowed me to be aware of a lot of mistakes I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. If you have the opportunity to arrange something similar with someone native and with TESOL experience I would highly recommend it, since it will allow you to save a lot of time if you already have a good knowledge.

2 1 respuesta
Ezkaia

#2862 Thank you very much! Great advise. I will keep what you said in mind. I would like to train my speaking and check my grammar and writing. withI've been told that the main difference between CAE and CPE are phrasals and idioms. Do you think that's true?

1 respuesta
Kartalon

#2863 I have never taken the CAE so I have no clue about the difference between both. But yes, you should have a good enough knowledge of both phrasal verbs and idioms, but nothing too weird and there is no need to abuse of them during the writing or the speaking.

In my opinion being questioned about idioms is quite useless, most of the idioms you study are not so used nowadays here in England, and those that are used many times are used only in some regions.

Anyway, most of the people once they have a good level they keep making the same mistakes over and over (I have been studying and living here in the UK for quite long already and I still find myself making the same mistakes sometimes), be aware of those and be extra careful during the exam and you should be fine.

B

I've got a question.

Is it possible for someone from North America to contract an employee from Spain? In the case it is, how does it work? I might have got a possible contract in NA and could work without having to live in America.

2 respuestas
B

#2865 Lol, it would be awesome.. :O

cabron

If you are self employed you need to make bills yourself to that company just as a regular Spanish bill is done, and the company does not need to hire you (a company hires you, it doesn't contract you).

If the company wants to hire you they need to open a subsidiary company here in Spain and obtain a CIF, something that's very unlike to happen just to hire one person.

2 1 respuesta
B

#2867 Got it, so the only way I could work outside of its country is to be a self employed. I guess will have to, it's a crap since you have to pay a lot of money monthly here in Spain but I think it's the only option.

PS: Thanks for correcting me on the contract thing!

8 días después
MaikelNait

Hi! good evening to everyone. I'm going to do the FCE on March, 6 so here I am writing useless stuff to practice.

I would like to ask you for opinion too because I've written a letter for a videogame company in order to ask for a free copy which would help me with my TFG. I need your opinion because I've never done before a letter like this and I don't really know whether i'm using the correct manners or not. The letter is below in the spoiler:

spoiler
1 respuesta
Mynkon

#2869 Hello! First of all, I don't know if you want it to be in a formal style. But if you do, you can't use contractions in formal style :)

Second, you shouldn't use "let me introduce myself" if it's a written letter and specially if it's formal. Also, remember that in English they like using shorter sentences, unlike in Spanish. Therefore:

spoiler

Again, if it's formal you shouldn't use words like "totally".

Aaaaand I can't see anything else right now xD hope it helps

2 2 respuestas
Mistborn

#2870 you da real MVP

MaikelNait

#2870 Thanks a lot! I'm not used to write formal letters :psyduck: :psyduck:

G

Has someone read 'Ulysses'? Ok, it's not my first book in english, and I don't usually have problems for reading in this language, but with this book I always get stuck. I think it will be the first book I've to drop, I'll give a try in spanish, though.

Am I the only one who have had problems reading it?

1 respuesta
Mynkon

#2873 James Joyce isn't actually easy to read. And if you don't get it in English I don't think you'll get it in Spanish either xD and Ulysses is one of the most complicated modernist novels so...

1 respuesta
G

#2874 haha, no, don't get me wrong. Actually I love it, but is what I said, hard to follow.

I was in Dublin two weeks ago and felt like I ought to buy that novel. Is my first Joyce's book, by the way; didn't know what should expect :s

8 días después
hamai

Hello people. I'm here to join this wonderful thread. I think this is going to help me a lot. Actually I joined "Administración y dirección de empresas" the past year, andit is oficially a bilingual program. I consider my english skills are pretty good (If we see the middle term in Spin) but I have been learning the lenguage by myself during the past 3 years. It means I make a lot of mistakes and I don't notice them.

So, I hope i can improve my english through some time and prepare my self to try to get the Advance certificate.

B

i just noticed the existence of this thread

1 respuesta
gunloK

BTW, this is me singing; never been to any english-speaking country, but I'm going to now in a european tour with my band (yeah I'm fucking excited :D ).

What do you guys think?

2 3 respuestas
Bomne

#2877 Same here.

Wanna make out?

#2878 Pretty average, which is good. You sound like you could have another beer as well.

1 respuesta
DoriHysteria

Hi, I'm thinking about going to a English Speakers meeting (I just made up the name, it's like some sort of meeting in a pub or cafe where people talk in English to each other) here in Madrid. Have you tried something like that? I'm kind of nervous because I'm shy and I'd go by myself... (If any of you is interested in coming with me to a meeting send me a message)

4 respuestas
Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales