Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

kroaton

You Fail!

The goat!, the goat!, the bitch of the Goat!, the mother who bore her!, I had a goat who was called Assumption!. (FIXED!)

:D

1 respuesta
B

Sup guys¿?

zampatukoh

#811 Sorry but i wanted to respect the Spanish version of the song ;)

autlos

357 million in south america, 47 in Spain. And I still preffer 'altavoz' instead of 'bocina' or 'parlante'.

Wycliffe

#808 im not discussing about grammar, im just saying they write the way they speak, dont you say and write pescao instead pescado, thats exactly the same

if you say "might have been" i bet they wont understand you

1 respuesta
FreshWind

I really hate english accents like that one

1 respuesta
meeka

Wow, im so amazed by this thread, never seen it before. I will check it everyday and hope my english will improve a bit (Some people here seem expert!) I Pray for corrections and advices to speak it better.

#818 Fixed! Thanks you dude (:

1 respuesta
JonaN

#817 The word people is slightly different from its spanish version, you should've written "some people here seem expert", since it refers to a group

1 respuesta
P

#815 I don't usually write "pescao"...
And of course they would understand... "Would have been" IS pronounced the same way as "would of been": that is WHY people mistake it. It is not correct at all and never should be in written language. There is a huge gap between both.

Anyways, I'm not up for arguing anymore. It's your loss afterall, I was just trying to help.

spoiler
1 respuesta
Wycliffe

#819 whos arguing?, as far as i know why are discussing, quite different
anyways ill write it in spanish because you couldnt understand what i wanted to mean.

spoiler

spoiler
1 respuesta
John-Kramer

Am I the only one who like to read english loudly?

By the way...for those people who want to learn english trough VO films I advice to watch them with double subtitle (english down and spanish upside):

KMPlayer is the only one software able to load two simulnaeous subtitles.
Other option would be use the web http://pas-bien.net/2srt2ass/ to convert two differents subtittles in a single file to use in any videoplayer (vlc,mediaplayer,..)

1 respuesta
ElRuso

#802 FML, I was writing a fairly large post and then it disappeared. Never the less I was saying that "being wired" is an expression, and I was making a joke about it in my second post.
I will try your suggestion but I will probably fail once again. It has been a long journey m8.

B

Woops! I haven't seen this thread before, I'll try to post as much as I can :D

Edit: enlighten me boys, does any body know what the hell 'can't be arsed' mean? (I know what does the expresion mean, my question its more towards the arsed word :D)

1 respuesta
P

#821 I secretly read the notes for the subjects that I take in English aloud. I think it's a great way to improve your speed of speech and reading.

#823 Arse means ass. It's a rude (swearing) way to say "I can't be bothered", it means you don't want to do something and don't have the time for it. As in "I can't be arsed explaining this to you because I'm busy and I hate you". No I don't hate you. It was just an example.
In Spanish it'd be something like... "no me sale de los huevos"?

#827 I think it is quite rude. Saying that to someone is being rude to them, I'm not saying it is slang or inappropiate (which in some context, it can be), but it sounds a bit angry. I've had someone say to me they "couldn't be arsed with me" at some moment and she apologized later because she was just in a bad mood...

2 respuestas
B

#824 Alright pal, that's what I thought, cheers.

Edit: The expresion it's a little bit harsh isn't it?

1 respuesta
S

#802 It's not necessary to use an "exagerate" slang to look better than the rest. Yes, your english is outstanding, but If I were you, I would rather being more humble next time. Have a nice day.

Wycliffe

#824 #825 Im afraid but that's not right, it means "me da palo". it doesnt have to be rude.

ive heard that very often from polite people ;)

1 respuesta
T

I can't be arsed is generally offensive because it means you do not want to make any effort on that person's behalf.

For example;
"Would you help me lift this?"
"No, i can't be arsed"

Although it can also be used in general and is in no-way offensive to anyone:
"Are you studying for the exam tomorrow?"
"No, i can't be arsed"

Of course it can also be used like... kiss my arse. Which is clearly offensive.

kroaton

Have you any suggestion to improve my listen level? I fail my last exam only in the listening part... I don't know why, because last 5 months I improved my listening level watching movies/series in VO (with subtitles in english and/or spanish).

The teacher told me that I should watch movies/series without subtitles... and try, and try and try again.

What do you think about it?

Any suggestion about movies or series?

PD: This threat will be my new friend. :D

2 respuestas
S

#829 Another good option, watch BBC News (British News) it would help you to learn a much fluent english. Good Luck!

1 respuesta
autlos

#829 "Have you got any suggestion to improve my listening level? I failed my last exam only in the listening part... "

• in: ...because of...

Try watching Lost in VO, without subtitles if you are able to understand it. But English subtitles also teachs you how to write the words you hear. It's one of the best ways I know because each character has a different accent ;)

TBT

#830 if only I were a cat to live seben lifes with joo

ugh welp idk noway jose

2 respuestas
Alex_007

#832 wutever u dumb as fuck guh

Adamassartus

#832 Whatever you're smoking, I want some!
Come ooooooooon!

Golgi

Hi! I need practice the conversation. Somebody know one place where I can practice in Valencia :D

A-tuin

hey guys, I have a doubt, is "this is..." used to introduce yourself in letters or emails? or it's only used for phone conversations? thanks!

1 respuesta
Kartalon

#836 I wouldn't use "this is Kartalon" neither in a letter nor in a phone conversation, well maybe through the phone it wouldn't be wrong, but I'd rather say "Hi, I'm Kartalon", "Hi, it's Kartalon" or something like that.

Anyway, I'd never use it in any formal letter or email.

To write a formal letter you should start with something like "Dear ______," and if you want to introduce yourself next just write "I am ______, your former colleague from MediaVida and I'm writing you about..." or something like that.

NocAB

I've got a question...

To close an email I usually say "Regards" but for a friend it is too formal, isn't it? How should I say it? Talk to you soon? See you soon? (Although I don't think we'll meet soon? :S)

6 respuestas
werty

#838 i'd use "see you" (nos vemos)

1 respuesta
ElRuso

#838 "Take care" is a good closing phrase to a friend/buddy. I would only use "See You", to somebody I will really see in a short period of time.

1 respuesta
Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales