Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

varuk

#955 Because is neccesary to know a language very much for to do that, I think.

2 respuestas
Gusete

#960 may I ask why are you getting the cpe? Ive never been asked for an english certification.
#963 yeah i do know (pretty well if im honest! ) :) I meant, whats your motivation for getting the cpe? because in my experience, no one has ever asked me if I had an english certificate.

1 respuesta
Kartalon

#961 Your phrase lacks of a subject and has too many prepositions. Spelling errors aside.

I would have said...

"Because it is necessary to have an extensive knowledge of a language to do that."

#962 Certificate of Proficiency in English, the highest certificate provided by University of Cambridge.

#962 Oh, sorry, I misread you. Well, dunno, I have plenty of free time right now (just finished my degree and didn't get a job yet) so I thought I could certificate my English just in case I might need such a certification in the future.

1 respuesta
A

#960 could you tell me what's the meaning of "keep a stiff upper lip" please? i tried to look for it at the dictionary but it has been a little tough for me jajajja so i prefeer asking you.

3 respuestas
Alu

#964 whats "jajajjaja"?

2 respuestas
Wycliffe

#965 what does "whats jajajjaja" mean?
;)

1 respuesta
Adamassartus

One does not simply jajajjaja in an english thread, my friend...

Alu

#966 i'm asking what's jajajajja. It's not english ;)

2 respuestas
Wycliffe

#968 if you want to ask what something means you have to say "what does XXX mean?"

so before criticizing/correcting make it right ;)

Kartalon

#964 "To keep a stiff upper lip", literally means that you don't know how to smile, but it's an idiom that means that you always behave properly but you are quite "dull", you know, you lack of happiness, that kind of behaviour quite typical among the British upper class.

1 respuesta
C

#968 How long can you laughing in different languages?

1 respuesta
Kartalon

#971 I don't understand your question but, anyway, it'd be "laugh" rather than "laughing", you don't write a verb in gerund after using a modal verb.

A

sorry #965 but i don't know what are you asking and why are laughing either...
thank you #970 for your answer :)

1 respuesta
elo4000

Hey whats up friends!

Bye friends, suscribi please

Alu

#973 on #964 you wrote jajjajajaja. I asked what is that

1 respuesta
A

#975 "jajjajaja" is how i use to laugh ;)

1 respuesta
LLoid

Hey, I have a question. What's the difference between "just" and "only"?

Alu

#976 hahahhaha =)

Gusete

I dont know if its already said or if you already know but just in case, be aware that "constipated" is not "constipado" but "estreñido"! Its a false friend said by a lot of spaniards that come to the uk. The face of a british when someone misuse that word is epic! :D If you want to say "tengo un resfriado" you can use "Ive got a cold".

Cheers! :)

S

ss top

D

Good afternoon.

At this moment I am working in my company. I work in a sales company and I sell advertising. In two hours I will go out, then I'm going to go to cinema with my girlfriend. We are going to watch "Intocable". I think that it is a good film.

Are there any mistakes ?

1 respuesta
rockfuck666

#961 Or because they think that this is a more serious topic (and it is, indeed), and the don't dare to troll.
Or maybe it's for both reasons :) .

1 respuesta
B

So, are we clear about how to laugh in this thread?

Just sayin' cuz i've got a lil' set of jokes in my suitcase, ready to be delivered.

hamai

Hi dawgs, I'm going to start writing in the thread because before too long i have to do a test to join in the AGM (The spanish army officers' academy) the next year. So i see a good opportunity to practice my english with some mediavideros without ¿stress me out?

By the way, the problem is not understand the English, it is my grammar and my lack of vocabulary.

1 respuesta
varuk

#982 I think that all half-life's threads are serious.

J

hello, I am jomateix, from spain, how are you? nice to meet you, bye, good bye, good night, greetings and finnaly see you later people xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Kartalon

I sell advertising

I don't get what's exactly what you do, but I guess that you sell advertisements, rather than "advertising", or you work in advertising or in media.

I will go out
then I'm going to go to cinema with my girlfriend

When you are talking about an inmediate future and it's something pretty sure you should use the present continuous. Moreover, when you are narrating sucesive actions you should keep the verbs in the same tenses.

So, "I'm going out and then I'm going to the cinema with my girlfriend" would be quite better in my opinion.

1 respuesta
Eleanor

#984 What is 'dawgs'? Remember you always have to write 'I' in capital letters as well as 'English'.
I would say 'I have to do a test to join (without in) the AGM in a short time'
Also 'By the way, the problem is that I don't understand English, because of my grammar and my lack of vocabulary' Remember you always need a subject in a sentence.

D

Yes !! I sell advertisements in magazines, but in general, can I write "I sell advertising" ??

I didnŽt remember that with an inmediate future I should write using present continuous. I thought that a future plan I should use "going to". But now I remember it.

Thanks !!!

1 respuesta
Kartalon

#989 No, you can't, advertising as a noun is the activity of "doing advertisements". And you can't "sell an activity". You sell the product of such activity, in this case, advertisements.

You can work in advertising and sell advertisements, but not the other way around.

spoiler
Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales