Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

B

Problems with nouns appear to happen in people who live in Spain but read a lot in english. Problems with verbs seems more prevalent in persons who live in a country where everyone talk in english. Because you get used to grammatical constructions and your brain is re-modelled.

It is my hypothesis, don't go so hard on her xD.

1 1 respuesta
Kartalon

#2941 "on it"

I have always read in English quite a lot and I never had as many issues as now talking Spanish. Maybe only some very precise terms that I had read mainly in English. For instance I remember that after reading "A Song of Ice and Fire" books in English it was easier for me to use the term "longboat" than "barcoluengo". Also because I think that longboat is quite a commoner term in English than "barcoluengo" in Spanish.

1 respuesta
B

Thanks for corrections. Always welcome.

"Barcoluengo"? Are you a wizard? xD.

1 respuesta
ruk0style

Hi guys, good evening, greeting from Catalonia.

1 respuesta
Mirtor

I'm a member of the 'I have to think in Spanish because words come to my mind in English' club as well! Come at me bros!! xDDD

1 respuesta
B

In our geek-clubs (about nutrition, family medicine, psychology...) 1 of every 3 words are in english. Bad habits. 99% interesting readings are in this language :S.

1 respuesta
Mirtor

#2946 I have the same problem with history. I read Paradox Interactive (Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron...) forums everyday, so most of my readings on the subject are in English.

Kartalon

#2943 Apparently "barcoluengo" is the Spanish word for longboat. It is quite common to see these boats sailing the canals in the UK in general and particularly in Birmingham (as you have canals everywhere).

Here is an image of the canals in the city centre of Birmingham with a couple of longboats:

I dream of having my own one day :qq:

1 1 respuesta
B

When you buy or construct it, call us. My future captain.

pirobiro

I read English and understand almost everything, but my speaking and writing is horrible at the moment ....
I use the same construction and the same words in Spanish than in English haha My brain still has not changed

I'm so frustrating haha

1 respuesta
pike_97

#2950 I think it happens to all uf us hahah, normally your comprehension level is higher than your expressive level, and that applies for every language. You should try reading some books in English, but not just passively reading, paying attention and realising how the sentences work. I assure you it helps a lot. And posting in this thread will help you with your writing issues haha

Speaking of which, this thread is kind of dead lately, isn't it? I think we could do something like weekly topics for debating, that way we could practise and improve our writing constantly. Just a random idea ofc, but i think it might be cool to try at least

btw,#2950 , in the last line the correct word would be frustrated, not frustrating. Other option could be It's so frustrating, referring to the language. But "I'm so frustrating" means literally "Soy tan frustrante". I hope i helped :santo:

1 respuesta
pirobiro

Haha yes I saw it.....normally when i write something or speak in english i realise that i have spoken wrong....but usually is too late haha

My problem sometimes is that I'm shy and I think....That people think that I'm idiot or something like that

I think that the idea to a discuss about something is a good idea but the people here has a good level of English

Mirtor

#2951 I think that's a good idea. The topics to debate, I mean.

Peluxoo

Next week I have the B1 exam, I'm very nervous because my speaking is regular when I talk with mates or teacher. I stop when I am talking because I don't know how follow with the conversation.

Some advice for it? Thanks!

1 respuesta
Mirtor

#2954 First of all, 'regular' in English is only partial synonym of Spanish 'regular'. In English it's only used for time, like 'There are regular flights to Paris' and not for quality level. I'd say 'mediocre' instead.

Try to be fluent, don't stop. Speak slowly so you have more time to think what you're going to say next. You can also think while you are using connectors or other more or less 'fixed' expressions like 'In my opinion...' 'I agree with you up to a point but...'

In case you think you can't go on with whatever you were saying it's better to say something like 'I mean,...' (Quiero decir,...) and then start once again using a different structure or other vocabulary than just to stop talking.

Good luck!

1 1 respuesta
pirobiro

Can you use the presente tense for a future action in that context? I don't think so.. wouldn't be better the use of will?

2 respuestas
Mirtor

#2956 Do you mean in 'Next week I have...'? That sounds perfectly reasonable to me gramatically speaking. Take into consideration that the exam is something scheduled. However, you don't have an exam, you take an exam.

1 respuesta
Kartalon

#2955 I would say "below average", even if 'mediocre' is an English word it is not very commonly used and I think it means more "average" rather than below it.

#2956 First of all, I would use "take" rather than "have" as #2957 points out. You can use the simple present to express future when it is an scheduled event, although I think it is more common to use the present continuous.

I am taking my English B1 exam next week.

pirobiro

Could anyone recommend me some easy books of an intermediate level or a similar level? I don't want the typical books I would rather something interesting or something different, like social novel.

Could i say in the question " Would anybody recommend me...?"

3 respuestas
Bathory2

#2959 Did you try with your favourite book in Spanish, but in English? I think it would be a good choice for you, because you can associate ideas and words.

*In my opinion, could expresses "podría" and is quite polite, while would suggest "debería" and it's not used when you want to ask something, not in a polite way at least.

Hiika

#2944 will you come back to mv2 my nigguh?

1 respuesta
DoriHysteria

#2926 A few days ago I talked to an English friend about this topic and he said that they didn't want to leave Europe, they want to leave the EU. I haven't read the queen's initiative, but I'm quite sure you didn't get the full idea. You will still need a visa, though.

ruk0style

#2961 Coming soon my dear friend

B

Could anyone find a proper spanish translation for the phrasal verb "come up with"?

According to a monolingual dictionary:

Meaning: Think of a solution, excuse, etc.

Example: Nobody could COME UP WITH a satisfactory explanation for the accident.

I'm trying not to translate the meaning literally, but to find a proper spanish verb. Ty!

It's funny how I actually know a perfect spanish verb for this expression but I can't use it because it's argentinian dialect. Fucking telenovelas :l

2 respuestas
Zahrae

#2964 What do you think about "dar con"?

1 respuesta
Mirtor

#2959 I've read 'I, Robot' by Isaac Asimov and it has been more or less easy. There are a lot of words I didn't understand but not enough to be annoying. It also has a social/ethical aspect, so you may like it.

Kartalon

#2959 Do not try to read anything written by Irvine Welsh, it is impossible.

Maybe you could try with Chavs by Owen Jones. Although it is not a novel, I have been told it is quite entertaining and interesting. I have not read it myself, it is in my always growing "to-read" list.

PS: 90% I am going to The Rainbow tomorrow evening in case you are in.

V

"Fuck her right in the pussy"

B

#2965 It works perfectly when it means to find a solution, but it is still weird to me to "dar con una excusa". Anyway, it's good and I think I have heard it so I guess it's correct. Thank you!

Kartalon

#2964 I think the best translation would usually be "ocurrir" in its reflexive form.

I came up with a solution for the problem we were facing -> Se me ocurrió una solución para el problema al que nos enfrentábamos

I came up with an excuse to skive off the lectures -> Se me ocurrió una excusa para faltar a las clases

1 1 respuesta
Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales