Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

NosFeR_

#1020 I laughed so badly. I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard. Awesome.

Nority

#1020 Hahahahahahahaha. So good =]
#1023 Can't believe it either.

spyro512

i can't believe you've never seen that video

1 respuesta
vincheN

#1006 I hope you won't mind me asking you and the rest of the thread's users something that disquiets me a little bit.

What would be the difference between using the adverb "Arguably" at a beginning or at the middle of a sentence?

You used on your last paragraph and I quote: "Arguably most languages sound" and I am wondering if it could signify the same than saying Most languages arguably sound...

Any correction on this paragraph will be also much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

EDIT:

Thank you =)

1 respuesta
Nority

#1024 Well, there's not much difference. It's an adverb, and thus it can be used in a couple of ways. Both examples, the one you quoted and the one you proposed seem perfectly okay to me. That being said, the way I used that adverb tends to be the most common one. A functional English teacher would advise you to use ''Arguably'' at the beginning of the sentence.

About what you wrote, you display great skills in your post. And almost flawless, since there are two minor mistakes.

I would use ''I hope you don't mind'', since you're referring to something you are going to expose now, not in the future.
Disquiets is a perfectly good word, but it's a bit bizarre in this situation. Some alternatives are unsettles, concerns, troubles. It would mean the same, but disquiets is quite an uncommon word.
You missed the subject in the third paragraph. ''You used it''.
Signify is correct, but most people would use mean. Again, as with disquiets, it's right but also unusual.
I'm a bit weary with the rules for prepositions, but I think ''on this paragraph'' is not the ideal one. Since I'm not sure about it, I'd leave it open for whoever has better knowledge.

Overall, very well written. Your mistakes probably come from translating from Spanish instead of thinking in English. And even so, what I highlighted about signify and disquiets is just optional.

As an educational note, here's an essay I wrote many months ago. After writing it I directly sent it to a friend of mine who works at the University as an English teacher (she's really good). She went through it and pinpointed some things:

spoiler

As you can see, there are some pretty basic mistakes. Also some nasty ones, but I've tried to improve upon those customs which usually ruin my essays.

2 respuestas
It3m

#1025 Do you give english lessons? We could make a deal... even it could be on skype xD
If you are interested, send me mp with your terms :P

Your text into the spoiler are quite interesting, once I have read it I think that I have to look deeply into my mind.. lol

1 respuesta
Nority

#1026 For the time being I do not give English lessons, but I find it really rewarding to come here and go through people's posts trying to help them out. Also, it's very fun to write in English in MV without being teased for doing it.
If you have any doubts just post them here.

For example, your last sentence has some mistakes. It should be something like this:
''Your spoiler's text is quite interesting, after I read it I came to realise that I must reorganise my thoughts and beliefs''. Since the first part doesn't make sense grammatically speaking and the second part is phrased badly, I thought changing it entirely would help you.
When you write in English don't try to translate an idea you have in Spanish, but work from what you can imagine using English.

2 respuestas
It3m

#1027 I try to think in english but the phrase's structure is wrong in my mind... oaky thank you! I have another question:
It is always so when you are using "are" for "you" in singular, ok, but is this related with using "were" with "I" to say If I were you? I have never seen this rule but I think that it could be used in any different case , isnt?

"phrase structure" or "phrase's structure"? xD

1 respuesta
Nority

#1028 Phrase structure. Otherwise you're saying that the phrase owns a structure.

Were is both the past tense for the second singular person (I don't know if this definition is right...) and the plural forms, as well as the subjunctive for all pronouns.
Hence: ''If I were you'', ''You were here yesterday, when I wasn't'', ''If we were to buy a slave'', ''Where were you last Thursday?'', ''Given that she was about to fire, and we both know that if she were to fire we'll have no chance at all, we did what was right by fleeing the scene''. (This last case is quite a push to force both options into one single sentence).
See the difference?

Keep an eye for those cases where you use a negative word to express something that actually occurs. ''In any different case''. Change that to ''in many different cases, right?''.

Letalius

My uncle is rich

LLoskka

Correction, the right word is :

My tailor is rich

Did not you pay attention in english class?

1 respuesta
n3n3b3c3n3

#1020 Socrates scores!!

justaury

#1027 I think that you are the one that made a mistake there! xD

"Also, it's very fun to write in English in MV"

Shouldn't it be "Also, it's very funny to write in English in MV" since funny is an adjective and fun sustantive?

Maybe I'm wrong xD.

#1034 I thought that noun was used only for names. Well, is nice to learn something new.

1 respuesta
Nority

#1033 It can also be used as an adjective. However they have a slightly different meaning.
Fun refers to the feeling of entertainment, funny is someone who makes you laugh.

Good catch by the way, even though it actually was right.

And where you wrote ''sustantive'', you meant noun.

#1035 That's most helpful, way better explained.

1 respuesta
sPNkKkKkKkKk

Funny means "gracioso" something which makes you laugh or "curioso"
Fun means "divertido" something which is pleasant or amuse you.
When they all are used as adjetives, btw funny cannot be used as a noun.

1 respuesta
Letalius

You got it right!

Stone20

Yesterday I did the FCE and when doing the listening, in the answer sheet I did not mark which test were we doing(Test A,B,C,D,etc...) because the examiner told me it wasn't necessary.Someone who has done the examen can tell me if it's true?

1 respuesta
Nority

#1037 I haven't, but anyway if the examiner (do you actually refer to the person supervising the test this way?) told you so, it must be that way. Even if it wasn't, you can always explain why you didn't fill out that box.

1 respuesta
Stone20

#1038 The problem is that I think he was someone who worked there but he wasn't a supervisor like the others.I don't know...

G

omg report irelia for racism please, she is telling me jewish sandnigger.

1 respuesta
daimped

#1040 i'm not sure if you are trolling us or just idiot, but i think irelia OP

1 respuesta
G

#1041 another guy who blames me, bitch please, irelia is overrated and you know it

1 respuesta
B

#1042 MY TAYLOR IS RICH. Also, i have a terrible hangover after 8 hours of dubstep and booze.

1 respuesta
W

#1043 The Rain in Spain Stays Mainly "on" The Plane instead of "in" the plane.

1 respuesta
Nority

#1044 O.o Talking about planar surfaces or air planes?
Oh wait, it's all about crazy people singing nonsense and touching Spanish clichés.

1 respuesta
W

#1045 It is not, my friend. ItŽs just a poor young woman learning how to pronounce correctly and a great movie though!

My fair lady 9/10 i rate it

You watch the full film?

Nority

To the Oxford Dictionary of the English Language, from my retarded English ''teacher'':

The meaning of disappointed will now be changed to disagree, given that it ''sounds'' better. And depressed or ill-equipped will from this point forward be synonyms to disagree.

Also, health service will now substitute health care system because I say so. Does not have to be a reason for it, I say so and it is not open for discussion.

To have a go is obviously a colloquialism for defecating. Why did you even thing it meant ''make an attempt'', that does not even make sense.

Farewell to both the Oxford people and my intelligence.

PD: YOU FUCKING BIATCH.

I'm whining, doesn't hurt to do it once in a while. Since the thread is comatose it's even productive.

7 días después
Exedra

a gad soul baraim nad a soldie a gad soul baraim nad a soldie a gad soul baraim nad a soldie A GAD SOUL BARAIM NAD A SOLDIE

Turamb0

Three Swedish switched witches watch three Swiss Swatch watch
switches.
Which Swedisch switched witch watch which Swiss Swatch watch switch?

1 respuesta
Yuloff

Damn sleepless nights, i wake up lifeless and unhappy.

Everyday I just feel life like an African plains: full of hienas zebras and bullshit.

Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales