Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

frandqt

Yes, im sure someone can. There are a lot of homos in MV. In fact, i have in my ass hairs that arent mine

1 respuesta
Nority

#1079 Careful there, that translation is not accurate.

#1078 In this section visualisation of the derived results from the TAL project research team is available.
That's the most... efficient? translation that comes to mind.
You could try some other ways, but I lost most of the ideas I had while writing the one I suggested xD
If this is really important I'd suggest you consult with more experienced English speakers.

1 respuesta
eXtreM3

#1082 is not an easy phrase, but I do not sure about the translation. As you say, I will try consult it to a more experiened speakers. Thank you anyway.

So... anyone can confirm if #1082 translation is good?

Nority

#1084 I think I made a slight mistake. The correct syntax would be:

In this section visualisation of the results derived from the TAL project research team is available.

You should try asking at the Word Reference forums, you'll find better suggestions there.

sLinGe

I always hesitate in this kind of sentences when you have to enumerate verbs:

"I am ready to learn, to teach and to help" or "I am ready to learn, teach and help"

2 respuestas
3eat1e

#1085 "I am ready to learn, to teach and to help" in written english, but you can use the second sentence in spoken english.

Nority

#1085 The second option in the right one.
#1089 Are you certain about that? I can't quote a specific example for this matter since it's something you don't usually encounter, but still it doesn't sound right.
Should insist on the fact that I have limited knowledge on grammar rules, I just write based on what sounds right.

1 respuesta
Eleanor

I have a question about the position of the word please in a sentence.

Could you close the door, please?
Could you please close the door?

I know the first sentence is correct, but what about the second one? And if it is correct, is there any difference of meaning?

#1078 I would say:
The results of the research team derived from the TAL project can be visualized in this section
Although I'm not sure if this is correct, but that's the way it comes to my mind

2 respuestas
3eat1e

#1087 Nope, first is the right one in written english.

#1088 Both sentence are correct and there's no difference of meaning

1 respuesta
B

#1088 I probably mean it with this method:

Please, can you close the door?

I know it's basic, but I think you understand me :)

sPNkKkKkKkKk

I wouldn't use visualise in that context but display.
Anyway, I keep thinking that my sentence isn't wrong but expressed in another way, imho.

Exedra

yooo listen up here is the story, about a little guy that lives in the bue world, and all day and all night everything he sees, its just blue like him inside and outside, blue his house with the blue little window, with a blue corvette and everything is blue for him and his self, and everybody around, cause he ainŽt got nobody to listen... Im blue da ba de da ba die, da ba de da ba die, da ba de da ba die, da ba de da ba die, da ba de da ba die, da ba de da ba die, da ba de da ba die

Sparty

Hi lads, what's going on?

doJi

Sometimes i just can't shut the hell up

Adamassartus

I should move to the North pole, I'm boiling here!

Zerokkk

Nobody should refill the thread with such a silly shit like greetings or simple phrases. Let's keep it up with some complex english, even if we fail in the attempt (a little bit, I hope). This is the real way to improve our quality, instead of practising easy things that we all know.

Shall this thread become what it was intended for, or will it stay empty and foolish?

edit: If I have any error that makes your eyes burn out to ashes, let me know and correct it. It may have a few, but I think its ok.

1 respuesta
Sparty

Holy fuck Zerok, never tought you spoke such a proper english! Have you ever been on the UK/US for a long time? Glad to see you're not as retarded as I thought xD xoxo

PS: By the way, let me know if I commit any error please, I would like to improve my written english (My speaking skills are a mess xD).

2 respuestas
Nority

#1096 ''Nobody should post in this thread with such silly shit like greetings or simple phrases. Let's keep it up with some complex english, even if we fail while trying (let's hope we don't). This is the actual way to improve our quality, instead of practising easy things that we all know.

Will this thread become what it was intended for, or will it stay shallow and foolish?

edit: If I made any mistakes that make your eyes burn down to ashes, let me know and correct it. It may have a few, but I think it's ok.''
There you go fine sir. May this be useful.
Note that you made very minor mistakes, most of which I attribute to you trying to make sense basing yourself in Spanish instead of working solely in English. For example, you don't have errors but make mistakes; shall is used to propose something to someone ''Shall we? / Shall we get it?'' or when you're answering a question which also starts with shall ''You shall not''.
I'm not very confident in my knowledge regarding the uses of shall, but I believe those I described are both correct and widely used.

#1097 ''Holy fuck Zerokkk, never thought you spoke such a proper English! Have you ever been for a long time on the UK/US ? Glad to see you're not as retarded as I thought xD xoxo

PS: By the way, let me know if I made any mistakes, I would like to improve my written english (My speaking skills are a mess xD).''

The same as for Zerokkk, try to think in English. When in doubt, ask yourself if that which makes you doubtful sounds like proper English.
Given that what you wrote is short I cannot asses you in depth, if you write something longer in the future and you'd like me to go through it, just quote me and I'll try my best.

1 3 respuestas
Zerokkk

#1098 Think in English? I oftenly try to, but sometimes, some mistakes can be made (overall due to the quick change between the two languages).

I didn't have too many practise with the "shall", your correction may be useful for me. I've seen some similar uses to it in other forums, though (and that worsened my English, as you may have noticed!).

Thanks for the help!

#1097 I still hate you, my self-proclaimed manager. But love is in the air.

2 respuestas
E3-NeOz

So , #1081 , tell me , are U willing to sell ur ass for a bunch of doritos or what ? in other matters , I like to see that this post goes so well , if anyone here needs some help with that wonderful language i will help the best I can , and of course with no charge at all . !!!!

Nority

#1099 ''Often'', ''much practice'', ''of it''.

Wycliffe

#1098 #1099 shall and will are exacly the same

"shall is used to" :wtf: Edit: ive just checked this and its correct, my apologies xd

"Have you ever been on the UK/US for a long time?" doesnt sound very good to me
i would say, how long have you been living in x for
or have you been to X? How long for?

rockfuck666

I agree with #1098, some people come here with silly phrases or stupid expressions learnt by heart, and it doesn't help us to improve our English. It's better to commit mistakes by practising properly than to say only phrases that memorises phrases without any sense.

Kartalon

Today I've been helping a friend to get ready for a presentation that she has to expose tomorrow and I've realised that I have to practice a lot, even being the presentation targeted to an A level I had some stupid doubts... And I have to take the Proficiency exam in less than a month T_T

On a different matter, I'm reading "The Catcher in the Rye" and I find really annoying how Salinger constantly uses some Americanisms. Is "good-by" an Americanism? Because I find that spelling really annoying :3

1 respuesta
Dr4g0nK

I took the Proficiency exam over five years ago, the best tip I could possibly give you is that you make sure you're essay is in UK English or US English DO NOT MIX THEM or you will be failed automatically.

#1104 Also be careful on the speaking tests because you might have a nasty "talk buddy" that will try to outshine you leaving you behind with less score than you deserve.

1 respuesta
Kartalon

#1105 Well, I the greatest problem I could have with the speaking is using too colloquial English, I think I've acquired the worst habits during the year I've been living in the UK (although I've quite improved my pronunciation too).

Thanks for the advices, I've been working a lot in trying not to mix American with British English (things like getting used to employ 's' instead of 'z' everywhere, or write 'colour' instead of 'color' :P )

Dr4g0nK

What part of England are you living in ?

If you don't mind I'll correct some sentences you have written.

I the greatest problem = My greatest problem.

Thanks for the advices = Thanks for the advice.

I've been working a lot in trying = I've been working a lot trying.

What the tester look for is ample vocabulary without hesitations, if you are feeling nervous let them know so they understand it's not a lack of knowledge but stress.

I hope you correct my English also since I mostly speak it and never write it.

1 respuesta
Kartalon

#1107 I used to live in Wolverhampton, in the West Midlands. Thanks for the correction (although things like "I the greatest problem" are just confusions from my tiredness hahaha).

I hope to learn more and more vocabulary, I've been reading literature in English for years and my mind must be really feeble because sometimes I still can't find the proper word when I want to express something :(

(Oh, and after I have been living in the UK I can't stop to use "proper" to describe almost everything hahaha)

Dr4g0nK

I am lucky, I had a Spanish father and an Irish mother hehehe.

Until I reached the age of 18 I was still speaking "Spaninglish" I would speak in English all the time with my mother but if I could not come up with the word I wanted to say I would automatically say it in Spanish.

I recommend you watch English films WITH English subtitles, not because you won't understand the plot of the story but because you will passively learn how to write the words you are reading.

I also would suggest that you read books that you will be interested in making it much more fun and enjoyable instead of a burdening task that you hate.

( I am actually quite surprised by my own ability to write at this moment)

PS: Waiting for "Devil III" to go LIVE hehehe.

1 respuesta
Kartalon

#1109 Don't worry, I'm all the time watching TV Series and films in English without subtitles at all, I don't have any problem in understanding English, neither in communicating in a colloquial context. I think my main problems are enhancing my vocabulary and improving my grammar...

1 respuesta
Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales