Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

killerbruf

Someone did the B1 (PET) exam in the last few days or months? It was very difficult? Tomorrow i'll go to Barcelona and i'll try to pass this shit!

Zahrae

Does someone know any good book for practising for the Proficiency? In 2009 I got the First Certificate but after 4 years studying translation, I think I'm capable of getting the Proficiency but I don't want to go to an academy because I know I can do it on my own.

Thanks!

1 respuesta
wizar5

Somebody know some website when i can see series or films on V.O and subtitle in english. Because one guys said me, that is so easy learn with this method.

#2135 ty

1 respuesta
Blanxe

#2132 To be honest, after reading your post, I don't think you are able to handle C2Proficency on your own

1 respuesta
P

#2133 Just download the show or the film from anywhere (Torrent probably your best choice) and then play it with VLC to load your subtitles, which you can get from subscene.com or any other site.

1 respuesta
Zahrae

#2134 Well, it's not that I'm doing the exam tomorrow. I know I need to practise! It requires time and dedication but I don't think it's impossible, and according to what I've learned in university, my marks, and my teachers' opinion, I don't think I suck at all. But thanks for your opinion and I would be grateful if you correct my English, of course! :)

P

Somewhere I heard that if you obtain a high mark in a C1 test you are given a C2 title. Is that legit? I can't risk applying for C2 when I don't even know my own level. I did the test thingy at Cambridge's website. It says I might qualify for C2, but I am not sure. My pronunciation is kinda rusty. I could take some prep classes, though.

I've been dragging this uncertainty around for like, months. I think I would never enjoy a trip to Las Vegas...

3 respuestas
Exedra

#2137 Yes that´s true, I heard that you need to obtain like a 9 out of 10 or more to achieve it, it´s a small chance but the possibility exists. I guess that´s impossible for me nowadays but if you feel like able to do it go ahead.

Every time I post on this thread I feel really awkward because I know that there is a lot of people reading my post carefully to try to find any mistakes.

1 respuesta
AG

They say Spanish is rich and varied vocabulary-wise, but I am in the middle of a hard struggle trying to find a translation for both 'Attractions' and 'Rides' (of a theme park). We normally refer to roller coasters, carousels, bumper cars or fun bounce rides as 'atracciones' in Spanish, but how would you then translate 'attractions' if the direct translation is already in use? Attractions are minor fun games like whack-a-mole, ring toss games or high strikers. They aren't 'atracciones' themselves as we know them, so I'm in a haste to find a proper translation for their category name. What do you propose?

Edit:
OK, 'Pasatiempos' seems to be the most appropriate translation into Spanish. Thanks Parque de Atracciones de Madrid for the tip! :)

1 respuesta
cabron

I don't care about what Parque de atracciones says, but if you tell me that we are going to spend some time with "pasatiempos", I expect you to bring a magazine with crosswords, find the seven differences and the like.

1 respuesta
AG

#2140 Can you think of anything better? :S

2 respuestas
cabron

Um, not really, I consider those things to be just "stuff", I don't think I have ever named them with any particular word, but here is a list of synonyms for "pasatiempo":

http://www.wordreference.com/sinonimos/pasatiempo

I don't know which one could fit, but if someone comes along and says "es un parque con atracciones y otras distracciones", despite the silly rhyme I would probably understand what he is talking about, but the truth is I really would say "hay atracciones y gilipolleces para pasar el rato", which probably rules me out for being ever paid to translate something...

2 respuestas
Zahrae

#2141 Usually those kind of games are placed together with other games. I found this: http://zonaarcade.forumcommunity.net/?t=40723117 in the Parque de Atracciones de Madrid. There you can see the high striker or the whack-a-mole and so. Maybe you could say "máquinas recreativas" or "zona de máquinas recreativas".

I also like #2142 option: "otras distracciones" or "otros entretenimientos", but perhaps it loses its meaning.

1 respuesta
AG

#2142 #2143 I first used 'distracciones', but when it comes to use the singular form to denominate the category, I found 'distracción' way ridiculous. I then decided to replace it with 'recreativos', but the singular form didn't convince me either. Besides, it's an adjective, and one of the attractions is indeed an arcade. Thus, 'recreativo de salón recreativo' was simply bullshit. I had checked with other websites regarding attractions, theme parks and the like and they all seem to use 'pasatiempo' to refer to minor attractions or stands where people can put their skills into practice or had a quick, fun time (gallery-shooting, high striker...). I will keep this translation unless I find other one even better I'm afraid. It's true we usually use 'pasatiempo' to refer to crosswords and other puzzles found in newspapers and magazines, but I believe it's a term with lots of variables judging from its common use in theme parks.

3 respuestas
Zahrae

#2144 If you're translating something related with a theme park (which seems obvious xDD) then "pasatiempos" is fine. I don't think there can be any misunderstanding of it. In a theme park you're not going to entertain yourself with crosswords or sudokus xDD.

1 respuesta
Mad_Kiwi

#2144 The singular form should be 'maquina recreativa' or 'salon recreativo'. However, if the attractions are not limited to arcade machines it will be a misleading translation so I'd sugggest you to either use 'distracciones' or 'pasatiempos'. Both translations sounds good to me even though this words are not frequently used in that context.

PS. And since I'm not sure about my grammar I'd aprreciate if anyone could point my mistakes out.

Cheers

1 respuesta
AG

#2145 #2146 It's a game where the player must manage a theme park (I can't reveal its name, sorry - it hasn't officially released yet). Among a variety of options, there is a category called 'Attractions' which includes more than 30 different 'swift ways to have a great time'. One of these attractions is an arcade, that's why 'máquina/salón recreativo' is unfeasible. Besides, it has different nuances. 'Pasatiempos' is still the best choice I have found so far. I'm more and more convinced it should remain as the end translation, so we can consider this small request as shut.

As for your grammar #2146, you express yourself very well in English. Except for a couple of minor mistakes*, your text is correct.

*Corrections:

• I'd suggest you to use either 'distracciones' or 'pasatiempos'
  • Both translations are
  • Appreciate

Mainly.

JonaN

#2137 #2138 I've heard about that many times, but have actually never seen an official announcement of such thing. When I passed the FCE exam, a few years ago, my mark was over 93-94%, and still didn't get the CAE, so I had to pay to pass it some months later. I doubt CAE/CPE's case is different.

Anyway, feel free to find an official source that says so and post it here.

cabron

Well, if you have checked that different theme parks are using "pasatiempos", then it should be right, no matter how weird it may sound. I've never heard that word used like that before, and I find it confusing, but it seems to be that the problem here is that I'm not aware of whatever jargon is used in theme parks brochures.

There's a lesson in here, sometimes learners are obsessed with having a perfect English, however a language is a thing so complex and so broad, that even native people have mistakes and ignore things about their own language, so unless you are are committed to obtain some degree with a required test, you don't need to study long lists of vocabulary or memorize grammar rules, a more informal approach such as reading English texts, watching tv shows, and stuff like that can be more than enough, even if it gives you a bit faulty English.

P

Hey guys, I need a little help here! I'm working on a translation for an amateur writer. I don't know if she's gone through her text after writing.

She has this character description: "she was covering her handles with a band which knocked with every step she took".

I'm having a hard time translating this one.

She was covering her HANDLES: I assume she means "love handles", as in, body fat. Okay.
with a Band: I'm imagining some sort of "faja/fajín" type of cloth.
Which knocked: Okay, a fabric that knocks? How can a piece of fabric actually knock? I don't get it. Clothes brush, even crack, but knock? Gives me the feeling I am not understanding this quite well.

My approach would be something like "Cubría sus michelines con un fajín que golpeteaba a cada paso", but it's really hard to imagine. Whatever, I'll stick to that, they're paying me shit anyway.

Please lend me a hand!

#2151 I thought of that, but it still bugs me. I might end up directly asking the author, she did use the verb on purpose. Thank you for the suggestion, at least "hacer ruido" doesn't sound as weird as "golpetear"... Right? haha

1 respuesta
Zahrae

#2150 What about "hacía ruido a cada paso"? I think that's the sense that the author wants to express, that it made noise. Another verb like "golpetear" could be "repiquetear" but I don't really like it and it may not be clear enough. I hope it helps!

1 respuesta
14 días después
Mirtor

Hello everyone! Here I come again with another doubt. I've even asked my English teacher and he hasn't been able to answer me (Tomorrow a friend of mine is going to ask her academy's teacher, we'll see) We were having the lesson about "both" and I asked my teacher what do you say if you want to introduce an enumeration refered to more than two elements. An example:

Q1: Do you study French or German?

A1: I study both French and German

Q2: Do you study French, German or Spanish?

A2: I study ¿? French, German and Spanish
(Estudio tanto francés como alemán como español)

Surfing the web I've found that "both" can be used too in this case, but it's archaic. Is there any way to say what I'm trying to say or it just doesn't exist in English?

PS: As always, I'd thank any further correction

2 respuestas
-KiLLeR-

Well that's a tricky one. I would just say " I study French, German and Spanish"

Another way to say this would be "I study languages such as French, German and Spanish" Let's see what people think about this doubt but I think that what you exactly want to mean doesn't exist in English.

N

I'm fed up of prepositions at/in/on.

I do it nice some times, but I fail a lot.. Can anybody explain me the differences about these three preopositions and what should I use in X cases?

:(

1 respuesta
Ligia

#2152 Maybe "I study all of them" or "all three".

cabron

Basic usage is quite simple: http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/prepositions-at-in-on-place.htm

Things start to get messy when you add verbs, some of them require that you specifically use a particular one for particular meanings, (e.g. you arrive at the airport, but you arrive in Madrid, and you arrive on time, but you can also arrive in time...)

I agree with the already suggested "I study all of them all", but regarding "all three", I would say "all three of them"

J

Hello, I nourmaly learn english in this page: shertonenglish.com . I recommend you because is very full.

2 respuestas
Mirtor

#2157 I wouldn't use that page after reading your post

8 2 respuestas
N

#2157 #2158 yes it doesnt seems legit xD

J

#2158, excuseme, but I am spanish, what fuck do you want?
To be spanish I am very good in english.

1 respuesta
Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales