Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

ArThoiD

#1289 Thanks. I think I'll need an english certificate for the future (erasmus, work or whatever), the First is too easy and everyone has it. My goal is the Advanced or even the CPE, these ones make you pretty unique, in my opinion.

Two of my friends have got the advanced, and I think I'm quite better than them to be honest. That's why I'm thinking about going for the CPE.

If I get a mark between 45-60 I'd be given the advanced, right? More than 60 = CPE.

1 respuesta
Nority

#1291 Yep, that's about it. Over 80% you obviously get C2, between 60 and 80 it's the C1.
The C2 is quite hard, and it does grant you the right to call yourself a correct, almost perfect, English speaker.

albertazo

#1289 Thanks for correct me but when I said I will go to Poland... I wanted to say this because I donŽt speak with my university and I donŽt request Erasmus schoolarship yet.

B

I need to know clearly the scores of each kind of grade on FCE exams. Maybe i'm not right about how to know about the scores, but i was thinking that it may like this web:

http://webs.ono.com/apropos/cefr-diagram-large.jpg

I had told all kind of grades that you will can get in FCE to my friends, but they think that have more knowledge than me about FCE exams...

So then, is this correct?

• B1: between 4 and 5. (or between 40-60 marks)

• B2: else than 5 since 6,5 (or between 60-75 marks)

• C1: else than 6.5 since 7.5 (more than 75 marks)

PS: Thanks for your help :D

Edit: Well, i found the solution about my problem :D

W
EOI Adv1 Results

IŽd like to thank all of you whom help me improving my knowledge of Englis . I see that i must practice more in writing and oral expression. ThatŽs all folks (I have no words literally) xD
Cheers :cool:

Pd: Next year iŽll be in advance2 and here too getting better on this beautiful language.

1 respuesta
Nority

#1295 I'd like to thank all of you whom help me to improve my knowledge of English. I've noticed that I must practice more my writing and oral expression. That's all folks (I have no words literally) xD
Cheers

Pd: Next year I'll be in advance2 and here too to get better on this beautiful language.

Congratulations, that's quite the success =]

#1297 We keep helping him, or at least we will, won't we?

1 2 respuestas
Kartalon

#1296 Moreover, "you who have helped me to improve" rather than "you who help me".

#1296 Even if the action still goes on or has an effect in the present, if it started in the past and is still valid, "present perfect" would be a better option rather than "simple present".

2 1 respuesta
W

#1296 On JuneŽs 22nd IŽll go to the examŽs review, IŽm quite scary about the truth but I must be aware about that mistakes you point because little details makes huge different and i need a lot of practise... ItŽs sad to say that nowadays i canŽt have an oral conversation maybe if IŽd travelled abroad and make an foreign female friend the mess or emptyness would be rearranged...

I still using the add on the chrome that you told me to use. In part my success itŽs yours, thanks to you pal

YouŽre so nice person

pd: IŽll be messing around, see you all. TY

gawain

#1 what happened to bryan?

Ligia

I'm taking my proficiency test on thursday. I'm so scared :(

2 respuestas
Thrillian

IŽm Bryan, can i practice here? my english level is really bad. i donŽt talk anything of anything, i canŽt

1 respuesta
B

#1300 Remember: use the force or just phone Rajoy for a rescue

PS: Each option is too good (bad) hihihi

#1301 Join to us buddie: We'll show you the dark side of English! (tssssssss, OHHHHHH, tsssss, OHHHHH)

PS: Hi, my name is Bryan Griffin...

1 respuesta
Thrillian

thanks a lot, what come now is much for our bodies

Wycliffe

if you were an employer which one would you prefer , a person with the First certificate (wont be able to have a chat in English) or a person who speaks fluent English with no certifications?

cant be arsed to study at the moment :(

2 respuestas
Ligia

#1304 I guess somebody who speaks fluently!

When I can't study english, what I do is watch series or movies in original version - no subtitles! You can also listen to vaughan radio, it's quite entertaining and you can learn some cool expressions.

3 respuestas
B

#1304 Both options are good to me :) If u don't chat is because you will not try it :) So then DO IT :P

1 respuesta
Wycliffe

#1305 #1306 thank you both for your opinions, ive been living in England for more than a year already, but before going back to spain id like to get some certifications or bullshit like that, but really dont feel like studying right now

just imagining i have to study prepositions and stuff like that drives me crazy

thats why i left that pandereta country, because of a paper saying you have a FCE is worthier than a valid and qualified person

sorry for the tocho

1 respuesta
Nority

#1307 We sure like ''tochos'' here =D
I have my TOEFL results and I've used them to certify my proficiency with English, still anything coming from Cambridge is more useful.
Don't bother with the FCE, just go ahead and take the CPE. Or maybe you can get a certificate from the Escuela de Idiomas, which is also quite valid.

#1305 If you don't mind come back after the test and let us know your thoughts about it. I myself am thinking of taking the CPE after the summer and would like to have some ground to work from.

1 1 respuesta
Ligia

#1308 Will do! So far, I am sick of studying phrasal verbs. It's the most annoying thing on earth. I think I will do fine in oral and listening. Let's see how the rest go :)

aL-CaPoNe

Somebody knows where can i found some level test of english?
IŽm looking for one test that tell me which is my enlglish level

Thanks

1 respuesta
Mad_Kiwi

Here you can find a level test but it says I'm C2 while I think I'm barely C1. It doesn't seem to be accurate at all.

If anyone knows where #1310 can find a better level test please be my guest.

2 respuestas
Nority

#1311 I too scored in the C2 range, but still it's a very simple test to begin with so not very reliable, no.

Kartalon

#1300 So do I. I haven't studied anything at all, so I'm not scared at all lol.

2 respuestas
Nority

#1313 I'm confident that you'll get the C2 =]

1 respuesta
MoRiBuNdO

#1311 wow! thanks for that link!! I ended up with the following score: "Congratulations! Your level is C2, Advanced. This is approximately equivalent to CPE, an IELTS band score of 7,5 or 100 at TOEFL"

I really don't know if its a good score or not... I usually watch movies, tvshows and music in english and I really like the language :)

#1316 that's cool!! Last summer i went to the Reading Festival in UK, I was so nervouos i thought i won't be able to talk in english to anybody. But after a while and gather all the valour i can, i relax myself and start talking to the waiters at the food and beverage stands. I was gladly surprised that i could have a fluently conversation with anybody who speak to me not too fast..

The first night me and my friends got a bit drunk and a bunch of boys and girls near our tent, invited us to join his chat, that was sooo great! Many of my friends have no idea of english and there I was, talking drunk with strangers, and having a couple of conversations and translations at the same time to my old friends and the new ones. I think beeing relaxed and with a bit of alcohol running through my veins helped me a lot to speak fluently and using all the knowledge i have about this great language :D

1 respuesta
Nority

#1315 Well that's a good score. 100 in the TOEFL is just about enough to be able to communicate without difficulties. I got 109 the time last December, but if I hadn't been so freaking nervous in the oral part I would have gotten 116 (lost 7 points in that section).
So frustrating to not be able to make comprehensible sentences even though you've been speaking English the last 10 weeks xd

1 respuesta
Ligia

#1313 from 9 to 17.40 nonstop!

Good luck m8!

1 respuesta
Khams

Hey, I was wondering whether taking an exam was worth it or not. After you've taken these "certificates"( be it FIRST, proficiency or whichever ), tests even, are they only valid for a certain period of time or can you make use of it for as long as you want? I am asking because from what I heard, it was only 2 years, and that kind of seems like a waste, specially if I don't make use of it within those 2 years.

Anyways, to sum it up, am I right or wrong about the fact that the results of these tests are only valid for a period of time?

EDIT:

Out of curiosity, I took the test someone pasted above spoiler[/spoiler] and it just seemed way too easy, it told me I had a C2 level.. but with just a couple questions there is no way they can measure that properly. Regardless, it was fun to do it.

Oh, here comes the second edit, well it beats double-posting anyhow. Apparently that site also has listening tests, which are far more interesting than the regular pick A or B kind, though it felt easy at some points, it also felt demanding, you actually need to pay attention if you want to make it on a proper amount of time, say under 10 minutes, apparently I got a C2 as well, though it just seems too randomly given away, I would rather they explained to you how and why you got it rather than just tell you.

1 respuesta
Ligia

#1318 Cambridge tests are forever; apparently there's some others that are not (I can't remember the name - TOEFL maybe?).

1 respuesta
Khams

#1319 Cambridge's are the ones that cost about 200 euros, is that right? What's cool is that even if you go straight away for the C2, if your score just doesn't cut it, you get a lower grade and the test doesn't go to waste, does it really require any preparation? I think I wouldn't have much problem with the written and listening part, the speaking on the other hand might be a bit tougher, I lived abroad for a couple months but in Germany so the whole speaking-situation wasn't all that good, and I feel as though I am a bit rusty, is the speaking part of the test ACTUALLY tough?

1 respuesta
Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales