Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

Vito_

#2550 You mean Ana Botella, for instance?

Pls, stahp it.

1 respuesta
B

#2551 No, I mean like Sergio Ramos or Francisco Franco.

1 respuesta
Vito_

#2552 You're doing it on purpose, you're trying to hurt us badly, aren't you? Fine, I prefer being Ramos though.

1 respuesta
B

#2553 My psychiatrist says I've got no empathy..

B

Ok, I want to write some long articles and other stuff in English, so I think it's a good idea to come here and practice first for a while.

I will try to post a lot in this thread, so feel free to strike up a conversation with me any time.

B

after almost two years with my girlfriend i realized of something, i can understand her english perfectly but when i met some english friend (specially britain) im totally unable to follow him lol, i think my listening right now only can recognize the korean english accent lol "facepalm"

1 respuesta
ruk0style

Hi guys, relaxing cup of cafe con leche in plaza major

Im here, writting

1 respuesta
Vito_

#2556 That's something completely normal, don't panic because of that. I've lived in the Uk for one year with an English family and everytime I meet any of their friends it's an adventure. I think it's really difficult to catch all what they say, but they stress some words more than others and we need to get used to that.

1 respuesta
B

#2557 same here bro!

#2558 nightmare... try to understand a britain its just... impossible! few months ago i went to the cinema to watch RED2 in original version with korean subtitles and i had no problems to understand the 90% of the conversations but... in some point appeared Anthony hopkins doing a britain accent... In that point the movie argument finished for me @_@ its like other language

1 respuesta
Vito_

#2559 Well, I think movies are a world apart. They're acting, therefore their accent are kinda different. I've found some series and movies really easy to understand while some others were impossible to me. Either with British or American movies, it doesn't matter.
However, it's said that English from south England is much easier and north England have a more difficult accent. Just take your time!

Peppermint

Sorry for my england im not from englishland

B

This year i will do the TOEIC i need a qualification over 800... Someone who did it? any councils?

1 respuesta
B

#2562 It's not councils, it's advice

1 respuesta
B

#2563 are synonyms no?

1 respuesta
B

#2564 No, they're not as far as I know.

council
An assembly of persons summoned or convened for consultation, deliberation, or advice.
A body of persons specially designated or selected to act in an advisory, administrative, or legislative capacity: the governor's council on housing.
(in certain British colonies or dependencies) an executive or legislative body assisting the governor.
An ecclesiastical assembly for deciding matters of doctrine or discipline.

1 respuesta
menolikeyou

#2565 It looks like

1 respuesta
B

#2566 I was afraid it might be.
Shame on you Google Translator!.
(even though it's a completely legitimate translation of the word.)

1 respuesta
B

#2567 i knew its also used for that, but i thought i could use it.. maybe advice is more correct or common

2 respuestas
B

#2568 Is it?
Never heard of it in that situation or in that context because it implies a group of people.

dadito

#2568 You can't use council that way

Consejo/Council

It doesn't make sense in this phrase

1 respuesta
B

#2570 I think you mean sentence

Zinicox

I'm preparing FCE right now, can you tell me some tips to get more "afinididad" with english Like watching films in V.O.S,etc?

1 respuesta
kraqen

#2572 If you really want to improve your spoken English, you could try playing some games with voice chat and and enter in any Enlgish server.

I you need to improve your grammar, just read many good books as you can.

B

Hi guys, I need some help please.

"either/neither", are the same? ("yo tampoco")¿? or what's the difference?

3 respuestas
rbn01

Hi.
I have been studying english in a academy since one month for prepare to First Certificate exam and i was learning present simple, present continuous, past simple, past continuous, past perfect and some vocabulary,
What should I study on my own to go forward?,? Recommend me some book or website?

thanks

1 respuesta
werty

#2574 neither = not either, i think

Vito_

#2574 http://menuaingles.blogspot.co.uk/2007/03/neither-nor-either-or.html

B

#2574 either for positive meaning and in choices. (O uno o lo otro)
I would like either wine or water (you can't have both)

Neither = negative (ni uno ni lo otro)

Neither my mother nor my father talk to me.

Either -> or
Neither -> nor. (

1 1 respuesta
Vito_

#2578 I think is best just to say 'either' is used when you have multiple choices (without the positive meaning), because (I think) you can use it in negative sentences as well:

I don't like either of those drinks. Neither wine nor water.

1 respuesta
B

#2579 You're right, but you can also say "I like neither"

You can't say "I don't like either wine or water". (Because you have to use neither, that's what neither is for.)

1 respuesta
Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales