Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

Vito_

#2580 Mmmm... ok, I get it! It's a difficult grammar point, that's why I barely use 'either' when speaking, I'm not sure how to do it.

1 respuesta
B

#2581 I have the same doubt about rather.
I read about the use and at that moment is like "damn, it's quite easy!", but when talking is like I forgot everything I read and I end up using it wrong.

1 2 respuestas
Mirtor

#2582 I use rather when I want to say I like something more than other thing. For example:
'I'd prefer going to a pub rather than to a disco' ("Preferiría ir a un pub antes que a una discoteca")

I don't remember now if it has some further usage

1 respuesta
Sylph

#2583 Using your same sentence, you could also say "I'd rather go to a pub than to a disco".

#2582 You can also use it as "algo/bastante", like "That teacher is rather boring / That girl is rather cute", but honestly, I hardly use it like that. When I talk I use "quite" or "somehow" for those instead of "rather".

But for what you said, it seems to me you only need to practice it more than knowing the definition itself, and I don't know how to help you in there :P

2 respuestas
Mullins

#2575 You have been studying english for one month.

7 días después
Polemos

#2584 Wow i thought your were Dices beacuse of your avatar. Please, do not ever scare me like that.

Devilpower

Hey, I'm here again, I here to ask for some english books, books like the books of school, but more difficult, any idea?

PD: If you know about some english e-book, let me know.

1 respuesta
Polemos

#2587 The books for the "First" exam are in internet, don't you like it?

1 respuesta
Devilpower

#2588 Okey, Could be a good start, thanks ^^

cp3

What it´s means phd?

2 respuestas
Devilpower

#2590 Maybe Philosophiae Doctor (Doctor of Philosophy).? I don't know really, In what context?

An advice to look for meanings, just googling word + "meaning" you'll find a lot of things.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/PhD

Mad_Kiwi

#2590 It's the next step after getting a master degree. In spain we call it "doctorado".

PS. What does PhD mean? or What does PhD stand for? would be the proper question

Oxicodona

Hi buddies.

I was looking for something like this to improve my English level. I'm supposed to be bilingual since I was a kid, but now I realized there's a lot of things I don't remember, as coloquial expressions, some slang and phrasal verbs. I also have to improve my spelling skills cause they're awful.

Feel free to correct my mistakes and tell me what's wrong.

MaikelNait

Hi guys, I'm not used to write here but I want to say something.

Tomorrow I have an interview in my university about a 12 days paid trip to Southampton they're offering. I'm a bit nervous because I have got only a PET lvl, my speaking is borderline and I've never done before an english interview, so...could you give some advices to pass this test? It would be very appreciated.

2 respuestas
B

#2594 Ok, what do you mean with borderline?

Your writing is good, don't worry about that.
I hope you make it =)

1 respuesta
MaikelNait

#2595 I mean...from 1 to 10 my speaking has a mark of 5, at least in the PET exam done last June

1 respuesta
B

#2596 I was asking you because borderline means:

1- A border; dividing line; line of demarcation
2- an indeterminate position between two conditions or qualities: the borderline between friendship and love

And I just don't understand it.

Mullins

#2594 Well, usually those kind of trips are for people who has to improve their english skills, so there is no reason to be nervous, just try to be as fluent as you can and don't worry about the mistakes you make.

Oxicodona

I want to start a conversation about random stuff, someone?

MaikelNait

I just have done the interview. It has been very easy, my mind was totally thinking only in english. I've explained my project and random stuff about what I'm expecting to get in this trip. Tomorrow I'll know if I'm in or not.

Oxicodona

Good luck, buddie.

Let us know :)

menolikeyou

Today we were practising conditionals for FCE when I completed an exercise using a mixed conditional. Christ! I don't even remember the 3 conditionals and I came up with an advanced form of conditional?

Well it just made sense in my mind, but I didn't know it does actually exist. I thought my teacher was messing with me!

2 respuestas
Zhelion

Hello my name is Pepito. i come from mexico and i are now lost in an island called "la citade del gringo". people eat child with mustardo in this islando and i are currently held in captivito against my will. please call 911 sorry for englando baderino no copy pasto plz

B

#2602 I had the same problem a few weeks ago xD
I always thought there was only one mixed conditional but there are two.

cp3

What does it means wire-to-wire?

1 respuesta
B

#2605 u can always use urban dictionary to solve these doubts: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wire%20to%20wire

MaikelNait

I got it !! Next January I'll be in Southampton !!! You can follow me experience here: http://www.mediavida.com/foro/viajes/maikels-adventure-mi-primer-viaje-solo-496839

2 1 respuesta
B

#2607 Congrats, mate!

garlor

#2584 I'd rather go to ...

afaik

#2602 telling all this without telling which was the mixed conditional you invented seems pretty pointless

1 respuesta
Mad_Kiwi

I lol'ed

4 5 respuestas
Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales