Official thread to practise English (whine = punish)

Normas básicas de funcionamiento del hilo

1- nada de pedir que se te hagan/corrijan redacciones o se ocultará.
2- postead sobre el tema antes de preguntar alguna duda o se ocultará.
3- nada de preguntar sobre resources o se ocultará.

N

#1856 Hey mate! The teacher gave us today our redactions, and she corrected your correction, haha, that's it (<-- it's good?):

spoiler

And she wrote under redaction (osea después de la correción):

Very good correction job. =) (yes, she put a face haha). What level of English has your friend got? Good friend to have, eh?!

Haha, thanks again mate, and sorry for the 'molestias' xD.

4 respuestas
Nority

#1861 Do note that my correction wasn't perfect. I just went through the most obvious mistakes =]
For example the ''waked'', or the ''to crawl'', those I didn't even notice.. Also, people scream IN pain, not AT pain.
The ''nay'' was an attempt to make it more ''literature'' and less ''dialogue''.

And do tell your teacher that my English is quite good indeed hahahahaha.

Also, trouble = 'molestias'.

1 respuesta
rockfuck666

#1861 I think that the form "have got", that your teacher has used here, is not very used in the countries where English is spoken. I'm not sure, but I think that in the UK they say only "to have", and in USA the form "got" is very extended, but they don't use the full form "to have" + "got" very much.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, or probably #1862 can correct me if I've make a mistake, but I think this form is quite weird.

4 respuestas
Nority

#1863 Doesn't really matter, English people combine those two every now and then without much hesitation. It's basically a disambiguation between the two verbs, which results in three perfectly valid options. Granted each case fits best some situations, for example #1861 's teacher used "have got" properly, however you could have said ''What's your friend's English level?", ''What level of English does your friend have?'', ''What English level has your friend?''.

The last one is a bit ambiguous, but I think it still is right.

rayka

#1863 I think it's quite the opposite ("have" = USA ; "have got" = UK), isn't it?.

benitoll

Does anybody know any way to certify my english skills, very cheap or for free? I mean an officialy recognized examination (one that I can put in my CV). Don't skip any exam that just are made eventually (like EOI exams), but the sooner it is, better forme.

I know this post is not intended for this purpose, I am just killing two birds with one shot (practicing my english and asking a question I want to be answered.

Thank you very much in advance!

1 respuesta
S

#1866 The only way i know to certify ur english is going to ( en mi caso ) Junta of Castle and Lion ( Junta de Castilla y Leon xD ) and ask for it.

I think it was around 250€ the oficial exam but not sure exacly.

Astalonte

You can use "have got" when you have something pfisic in your hand or you own a object. I;m speaking about a car for example or money.

It's very usual when you're speaking about for example tasks, homeworks or something like that.
Here in Scotland i use to use "have got" when i want to say that i carry something with me or i have something very present

i have got a headache.
i have got money just for one pin.
have you got a scissors?

1 respuesta
Nority

#1868 (Isn't it "have you got a pair of scissors?''?)

Astalonte

i have no idea, i use that with glasses.

Maybe you're right. sorry about that

O

Hello,my name is ocelote, im 20 years and my favorite game is league of legens.. im so bad speak english xD

laksiouer

#1863 "I've made a mistake"

FoxWinterMan

Hej someone can answer me that question? Spanish text inside!

spoiler
1 respuesta
Feuer

#1861 And what is the difference between 'I started to crawl' and 'I started crawling??' Or between 'I started to walk' and 'I started walking'??

I always thought there's no difference betweem 'start+ing' and 'start+infinitive' since I've read it in WordReference. And I still think they are the same.

Maybe there was a difference back in the day, but now? I don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong, of course.

2 respuestas
Rubios

#1873 I would highly recommend a private academy (with small groups of 4-5 people) if you can afford it.

#1874 There's no difference.

1 respuesta
FoxWinterMan

#1875 I rejected private academy because i dont have enough money to pay it monthly.
I want learn alone only with my dedication and sacrifice, but i want know what is the best way to learn eng.

This is my first english text in this year, sorry for the mistakes!!

1 respuesta
Nority

#1876 The best way to learn English if you're really motivated is getting a good guide-book (with grammar explanations and that stuff), a dictionary and many books to read and translate. In less than a week you could be speaking a fair and fluid English if you really put yourself into it. The thing is getting all of these things.

1 respuesta
Astalonte

i am not agree, fluent english?.
To do that you need to live or speak all the time with people in the lingo you want to learn.
It s hard, but this is it.
No one learns a language properly just in one week with reading and grammar. It s a way to learn, without doubt but you need speaking, listening and that kind of things for a long time. time, you will need a lot of that.

Speaking\listening>reading\writing>grammar.

My advice (having a b2 maybe)is speaking all the time with people who owns the lingo as mother tonge, reading and copy everlasting text of english text whose level be the yours. And study grammar, important but you will need speaking/understanding first that knowledge about verbs or phrases.

Anyway you need a professional advice.

|

1 respuesta
Nority

#1878 When I say fluid I mean conversational, not expressive and comprehensive.
Still, if Daniel Tammet, a world famous savant, can learn Icelandic in 5 days, you can surely mutter the basic English in 7 days. Granted he had a teacher guiding and helping him, but he's also one of the most brilliant men alive, so...
Video related:

PD: Also, there's a very famous book titled ''Learn English in a week'', written by some genius or something.

N

#1874 I don't know, don't question (preguntar???) me, i'm learning at academy and the teacher said it xD.

I'm using Chatroulette to speak to some people in english, but I don't know how to explain some things that I don't know how to say in english, and it's difficult xD.

If anyone is bored and wants to teach some english 'to a noob' (it's correct?), I'm here hahaha.

I came back from a listening of 40 min of English and I did a 'test', but it was so difficult, the speakers have a difficult 'acento' to me, and it's so hard to understand them... I understand some phrases, but when they speak so fast without any stop, is soooo difficult... I have to 'process' (?) it and aiajdaednaj, difficult xDD.

DormiloN

Hi.

I have a question about how to use these two verb tenses: past simple and present perfect.

Past simple can be used with a duration which starts and stops in the past.
Ex: "He lived in brazil for two years" "He talked on the phone for 30 minutes"

Present perfect can be used to show that something started in the past and has continued up untill now.
Ex: "She has been in england for six months" "I have had a cold for two weeks"

When i read the use of each tense they look quite different but, if i read the examples below they look exactly the same:

"She has been in england for six months" = "She was in england for six months"
"He talked on the phone for 30 minutes" = "He has talked on the phone for 30 minutes"

So, are they actually meaning the same?

Thank you so much, de antemano

2 respuestas
cabron

"She has been in england for six months" <---- She still lives in England
"She was in Englad for six months" <---- Currently she is not living in England

"He talked on the phone for 30 minutes" <--- He has stopped talking on the phone.
"He has talked on the phone for 30 minutes" <--- Right now, he is still talking.

2 respuestas
Nority

#1882 That last phrase, "He has talked on the phone for 30 minutes", could also be a conclusive action if in reported speech between two other people, i.e. adding something else ''(...) each day this week''.

#1881 beforehand.

2 respuestas
DormiloN

Its like a continuous use then?¡

Castellano

#1883 #1885 Thanks!!

1 respuesta
cabron

Yes, but sticking to his current question, the last one does not imply that the action has ended unless you add something else.

Correct, only that "estando" is not a good choice, in that case, been is best translated as "viviendo"

1 respuesta
pastorcin

Can somebody tell me if the oral exam of B1 has some kind of difficulty?

1 respuesta
Feuer

#1886 B1, from University of Cambridge? That's the PET, right?

This is a recorded speaking part. I think is quite useful.

#1888 I watched a video once of two korean or chinese poeple, or the like, taking the speaking part of the... PET I think, and it was funny as hell. Unfortunately I couldn't find it.

2 respuestas
Nority

#1887 I got so nervous each time they mispronounced something or made a mistake.

2 respuestas
pastorcin

#1887 and do you know how much demanding are they?

(when I say 'demanding' i mean 'exigente')

1 respuesta
Feuer

#1889 I don't know, I didn't take the PET. But from the looks of it I think it's not so difficult. I think the questions they make are very common. But maybe it would be good for you to join a conversational group or go to an academy before taking the test.

I joined a group of people to improve my level before the test and it worked! I was more relaxed and more confident that I would pass it.

P.S.: There's another videos on youtube of the PET. I think they are very, vey helpful. In the real exam they ask the same questions. If you watch them and you know how to answer all of the questions, you have a good chance of passing it.

Tema cerrado

Usuarios habituales