Infinity: Battlescape #HO

The-Force

Weekly Update 30 6-9-2016

Hey everyone time for another weekly update. This week we want to take some time to talk about scheduling. Our next release is Alpha which is currently scheduled for October 29th, 2016. The Alpha release is supposed to contain rough implementations for all major gameplay systems which includes networking, distribution, patching, UI, weapons, small-ship flight mechanics, capital ship flight mechanics, radar, intra-solar jumping, and resource management. At this moment in time many of these are partially implemented however a few of them haven’t been started yet.

Editor shot of the final touches being put on the NPC hauler

You may recall that our deliverable to Developer Access backers at the beginning of the year was delayed by 2 months. If you go back through our January/February 2016 weekly updates you can read why. Full production started on February 1st and the Developer Access milestone was announced on February 28th. Back in February people were asking if the delay would affect the timeline for our Alpha release and while we knew it obviously would one way or another we decided to stick with the original timeline until we were absolutely sure we couldn’t hit it. Well, we now know we won’t be able to stick to our original timeline and release the Alpha on October 29th as we had planned. Instead we expect to release it sometime in early 2017.

Editor shot of the front of the NPC hauler

The delay is primarily due to a lack of programmers and being unable to get as much gameplay implemented over the summer as we had hoped due to fixing up core systems like physics, networking, distribution, patching, and pledge upgrading. Fortunately, the work on those systems, which are all very important for providing a polished experience in the final game, is nearly complete and we’ll be getting back to iterating on gameplay soon. Our art team is also still on schedule cranking out quality content.

Editor shot of the NPC hauler engines

Let’s talk a little bit about financials. Our Kickstarter campaign raised $332,620 which is $32,620 over our minimum goal of $300k. After paying fees to Kickstarter of 10% that left us with $300k to build the game – or exactly our minimum which meant that building the game was going to be a hard slog – something we were expecting when we launched the Kickstarter. Full production started on February 1st so we didn’t really spend much of anything until then. Since our Kickstarter completed we’ve also raised an additional $21,830 through our IndieGoGo InDemand3 campaign (before paying 10% in fees).

One more editor shot of the NPC hauler

Due to additional sacrifices made by the members of the team we’ve been spending money a little bit less than we had budgeted for so financially we’re in pretty good shape. Since the art team is currently on-schedule we expect that the majority of additional costs caused by delays beyond our target retail ship date of September 2017 will primarily go toward programmers. At the moment Flavien is the only programmer getting paid so as long as we can raise an additional $25k between now and September 2017 we should be able to cover a 6-month delay without any problems.

Final geometry pass on the corvette cockpit

So where does this leave us right now? Well, if you’re a Developer Access+ backer then congratulations, you get longer exclusivity. If you’re not a Developer Access backer and you don’t want to wait our pledge upgrade system will be finished soon and you will be able to upgrade to get immediate access to the game. If you don’t want to upgrade then please accept our sincerest apologies for the delay. While it may not be going as fast as we would prefer we’re making steady progress (see our weekly updates), the artwork is coming together great, the game is going to get finished and we can’t wait to play it with all of you!

1 1 respuesta
F

#121 mola!

The-Force

Weekly Update 31 12-9-2016

Hi everybody, Flavien here. I'm doing the news update as Keith is out from town for a few days. This week we've been working on bug fixes for the I-Novae installer & launcher ( for those of you dev-tier backers that have access to the game ). Some problems with third-party dependencies have been addressed and better logging / messages has been added for the future. Unfortunately we ran out of time to test the new build before Keith had to leave, so our plan is to push that new build when he's back in around a week.

Military base Layout A

We've also been working on the new game patch including factories and military land bases. We've developped those assets to be modular, so that we can easily create entire new layouts & variations. Keep in mind that the final solar system in which the game will take place will have at least a dozen planets ( only 4 are currently included in the pre-alpha ), and on each of these planets there might be 3-4 factories and bases. With enough layout variations, we are hoping that every base will be slightly different ( some bases will have more defenses, others will have weak points such as an energy reactor you can damage ) however since they're created from a set of common modules it allows us to minimize the amount of work & cost required per asset.

Military base Layout B

At the moment all those assets are placeholders for design purposes. The final assets will have around x4 more geometry and details. Dan has already started to work on the detailed modelling phase for the space station modules and has produced around 20 of them ( out of 50 ) in the past weeks. While we're testing the placeholders we're also generated level-of-details for them which allows us to tune performance and keep the average polycount in check, and test the limits ( in terms of complexity ) of what we can achieve for "huge" military bases, factories or stations.

Huge factory - extreme layout test + LODs

Jan and Kristian have been working on finalizing the hauler, including ambient occlusion maps, detail textures/materials and placing dozens of small lights to make it come alive. We are hoping to include the hauler ( at least as a static object, since we don't have any A.I. yet ) in the game by the next patch so that testers can have a look and provide feedback for it.

And that is all for now, see you next week !

The-Force

Weekly Update 32 20-9-2016

Time for another weekly update. You may have noticed that the forums have been down for the last few days. This seems to have been caused by some sort of hiccup with our hosting provider that corrupted the disk on our server. Unfortunately it coincided with my being out of town traveling which significantly slowed our response. The good news is that other people appear to have experienced the same problem and we hope to have it sorted out soon.

Flavien has taken a break from the networking code to focus a bit more on the game. Factories can now be spawned on the surface of a planet. He also significantly improved the quality of shadows cast within a cockpit. The rest of his time was spent working with our artists to improve their workflow for building ships.

On the art side the NPC hauler is pretty much finished. Kristian has moved onto creating the mockups for our UI and HUD. Jan is still working on the corvette cockpit, we hope to have some new pictures to show off soon, and Dan is doing the final geometry pass on various pieces of space station. We were hoping to release the next patch before I went out of town but we weren't quite able to get all of the testing completed. Now that I'm back, and once I finish getting the forums sorted out, we'll get back to releasing that patch. The flip side of the wait is that it should contain quite a bit of new content.

16 días después
The-Force

Weekly Update 33 27-9-2016

Hey all time for another weekly update. For starters we released an update yesterday to our installation runtime for Developer Access+ backers. Unfortunately due to a bug in the previous version the upgrade doesn't always complete successfully. If you experience any problems we have a thread on the forums explaining how to resolve them. This update to the installation runtime is in preparation for our next game patch which should be ready soon!

Making progress on the corvette cockpit

We spent a lot of time last week getting the aforementioned patch for the game ready. It will contain a bunch of new content as well as some run-time improvements which we'll go over once it's released. This week I (Keith) will get back to finishing up the last bit of the pledge upgrade system followed by incremental patching while Flavien gets back to working on networking followed by weapons, finally, yay!

Another WIP shot of the corvette cockpit

Our goal is to have these last bits of low-level infrastructure work completed by sometime in November so that we can refocus all of our attention on gameplay and UX moving forward.

The-Force

Weekly Update 34 4-10-2016

It's that special time of the week again, weekly update time! This last week has been a particularly busy one as we released a new patch, pre-Alpha 0.1.6.0, yesterday to our Developer Access+ backers! This patch contains a whole bunch of new content including the completed hauler, new cockpits, and the prototype geometry for land bases and factories. If you're interested you can read the full patch notes on our forums.

Screen shot from the new patch of the interceptor cockpit and hauler

There's a good chance this may be the only patch we release this month as we finish up the last pieces of low level infrastructure such as networking, the pledge upgrade system, and incremental patching. On the art side work will continue on finishing up the corvette cockpit and exterior hulls for the small ships. We've also started mocking up our UI which we hope to start integrating into the game in November.

You probably didn't notice but we upgraded the buttons - they're now Super Sexy™

Looking further out into the future the first big-ticket new gameplay system will be weapons followed by the resource system. Our primary goal is to get all major gameplay systems mocked up as soon as possible so we can release the Alpha. Once that occurs a process of implementing lesser systems and continual refinement will take us to the Beta. After the Beta ships we'll begin final polish and an optimization pass before going gold. We're just taking it one day at a time while keeping an eye on the prize - shipping Infinity: Battlescape to all of you!

One last screen shot of the hauler because why not, it's pirty
7 días después
The-Force

Weekly Update 35 12-10-2016

Sorry for the delay but here's a new weekly update. Per usual the last week has been quite busy. Flavien has made significant progress on the networking code, unfortunately there isn't anything to show, but it's starting to come together. Despite the progress being made there's still a good chunk of work left concerning client-side prediction and server-side latency compensation. Both are very important for smooth multiplayer gameplay but are equally tricky problems to solve. These improvements should be fairly noticeable once we release the next patch to Developer Access+ backers.

WIP shot of a space station

Unfortunately for me last week was one of those weeks where I had to take care of a lot of technical support, administrative stuff like accounting, and infrastructure issues. In mid September our forums went down for a few days due to one of our servers somehow getting magically corrupted. While everything is back up and running there are some lingering issues affecting new accounts that may prevent them from having proper access to the game and/or forums. These are being worked on and I hope to have everything back at 100% soon.

Another WIP station shot next to our ships

On the art side we're working on finishing up the corvette cockpit and we've started on the exteriors for the small ships. Kristian has also created some high level HUD mockups. These are focused on the broad look and feel. Composition of HUD items still needs a lot of iteration. The most difficult HUD item will likely be radar. Just like the visual style of Infinity: Battlescape we want our implementation of radar to be a blend of present day realism and futuristic sci-fi. Most of that will likely be determined by playtesting once we begin the Alpha.

High level HUD rough mockup
The-Force

Weekly Update 36 18-10-2013

And another week bites the dust. Some of you may have noticed that our forums went down for a few hours earlier this week. That was due to the maintenance I spoke about during the last weekly update. I'm thrilled to report that the last of the forums issues caused by our outage in September have been resolved.

Over the last few days we've spent a lot of time thinking about the HUD of which you can see the latest mockup above. Our guiding theme for the SFC faction is balancing 80's industrial sci-fi with advancements in technology you could expect way out in the future. To that end we want our HUD to be a blending of what you'd see in modern military aircraft and futuristic elements you would need to make newtonian spaceflight manageable.

You'll notice in the top left corner we have radar similar to what you'd find in many other space games. This is just a placeholder as radar is currently one of the least defined systems in the game. We expect it will morph heavily over time once we get into Alpha.

We've also done some mockups of the main menu system. You'll notice from the picture above there's nothing particularly glamorous about them. We've discussed the possibility of zooming around the solar system as you open different menus but that will likely depend on how much time we have during the polish phase (probably not much).

A couple of new patches have been released for the I-Novae launcher and the installation runtime over the last week. We're fixing problems and releasing patches as backers find them. Unfortunately this has come at the expense of finishing the pledge upgrade system however we're currently only aware of 2 remaining outstanding issues with the installation runtime so we'll be getting back to the pledge upgrade system shortly. A lot of backers have been asking us when it'll be ready and it's one of our top priorities.

To summarize we're currently finishing up the networking improvements and pledge upgrade system. Once those are complete we'll be moving onto implementing weapons, our new menu/HUD system, and incremental patching.

7 días después
The-Force

Weekly Update 37 25-10-2016

Another week another update. We released a patch for the installation runtime this week that fixed the last remaining issues we're currently aware of. The corvette cockpit has been completed, the final geometry pass for large station pieces is nearly complete, and work is progressing on final geometry for both the corvette and interceptor exteriors.

On the engineering side we continue to make good progress on the network interpolation. Hopefully it'll be wrapped up within a couple of weeks so work can begin on small ship weapons. We also started laying some of the low level groundwork for our new UI system that will be used to build our HUD and menu system. If you haven't seen the mockups yet checkout last weeks update4.

Next month will be a little extra hectic because somehow everyone in the company has a lease that's expiring and we're all moving into cheaper apartments - except Kristian because his lease expired last month lol. Back in weekly update 30 #121 we announced that the Alpha release would be delayed until early 2017. We're currently planning on offering a free weekend to play the game for all Alpha backers to make up for it. The exact date hasn't been nailed down yet, probably after we're finished with the networking fixes, but we'll let everyone know soon. That's about it for this week!

The-Force

Weekly Update 38 1-11-2016

Hey everyone time for an update. This last week has been fairly hectic for all of us. As was mentioned last week most of the team is trying to find new living arrangements within their respective cities because our leases all coincidentally expire at roughly the same time. This has affected our work schedule a bit since finding a new apartment is quite time consuming.

Flavien has taken a brief break from the networking code to implement the foundation for what we hope will someday be support for mods. We've implemented a simple racing mod which we intend to maintain throughout development of the game so that the interface between mods and the game will be preserved. I've been working on some low level rendering improvements that will lay the foundation for the new UI system we want to build to power our HUD and menu system.

On the art side work continues on the final geometry passes for the corvette exterior, interceptor exterior, and large station pieces. Aside from the new screen shots in this update there's not much else to say about that at the moment. I've put in an application on a new (cheaper) apartment so I should have a lot less distraction this week which will allow me to refocus on finishing the pledge upgrade system. Unfortunately the other guys are still looking but we hope they'll find something agreeable soon.

Given that we'll all have to pack, move into, and then unpack in our new apartments by the end of November - combined with the upcoming holidays - it's possible that our Alpha launch early next year might be a bit on the rougher side. It's still too early to know for certain but in the end we figure that Alpha backers just want to have something to play sooner rather than later. Lastly we're planning on having our free weekend for Alpha backers to try the game sometime after the pledge upgrade system is completed. Some Beta backers have expressed their desire to upgrade so they can be a part of that free weekend and we want to make that available for them. That's it for this week!

7 días después
The-Force

Weekly Update 39 8-11-2016

Hey everyone it's weekly update time. Unfortunately there's no new screenshots this week because our artists forgot to upload them, they're all asleep right now, and I don't feel like waiting until tomorrow because I'll be distracted by the US election. Despite that good progress continues to be made by the art team. The large detail final geometry pass for stations is nearly complete which will be exciting to get integrated into the game. There's still quite a bit of work left on the small detail geometry, particularly within hangar bays, but the bulk of the station pieces are geometrically completed.

The interceptor and corvette exteriors are also really coming together great and we'll hopefully have some new screen shots to show off for the next update. Flavien, to his great dismay, was incapacitated most of the week due to illness so not much progress to report with the networking. The remaining piece of the pledge upgrade system, handling chargebacks, is nearly complete with (currently) only 1 outstanding issue remaining. There's still a bunch of testing still to be conducted and then some legal work to do for a Terms of Service but we're hoping to release it and put it behind us soon - especially because working on it is killing my soul.

While we had initially announced support for both credit cards and PayPal with the new pledge upgrade system it will only support credit cards and bitcoin at release. This is because PayPal's integration is a bit of a nightmare and... it's killing my soul. I'll finish it at some point in the future after I have time to replenish my intestinal fortitude - unless a lot of people yell at me because they want to upgrade via PayPal. Funny how that works. Anyway that's it for this week, sorry about the missing screen shots, we'll get you all some new content during the next update for sure!

The-Force

Weekly Update 40 15-11-2016

Hey everybody here's your Infinity: Battlescape weekly update! I'm thrilled to report that the coding effort for pledge upgrades via credit cards and bitcoin is now complete! I still have to work with our lawyer to get a Terms of Service written before I can release it but hopefully that'll be sometime this week. While waiting for the legal review I'll be shifting over to some low level engine improvements which lay the groundwork for our new UI system for the game.

Flavien continues his work on networking. Unfortunately when it comes to planets nothing is easy and it's taking a bit longer than anticipated due to some hiccups with server side hit detection on planet surfaces. Most notably the server needs to generate terrain collision meshes on-demand for every player and particle in the game that happens to be near the ground which, worst case, can be quite a lot over an incredible surface area. This poses some unique technical challenges.

On the art side we're finishing up the large scale final geometry pass for space stations. Once that's complete we'll begin the final geometry pass for factories. Jan and Kristian are still working on the final geometry passes for the corvette and interceptor exteriors. Those are really coming together nicely and they're going to look great once the texturing pass is complete. Lastly if you have an opinion on whether or not our interceptor should have a horizontal bar in the cockpit please head over to our forums and vote.

7 días después
The-Force

Weekly Update 41 22-11-2016

Hey everybody time for another weekly update. This week I'm going to start with the art update because I'm going to spend a lot of time discussing some of the engineering stuff we're doing. The art team is beginning to wrap up the final geometry pass for the interceptor, bomber, corvette, and large station pieces. This week's screen shots show off the latest progress for the bomber and corvette respectively.

Final geometry for the bomber exterior is almost finished

Unfortunately we haven't been able to release our new pledge upgrade system yet because the legal review of the new Terms of Service isn't done. This week is a major holiday here in the U.S. which is likely slowing things down for our attorney but the review will hopefully be completed soon. We'll make an announcement once the pledge upgrade system is available.

Some sexy bomber butt

For those of you who've been with us for a while you may recall that Flavien originally started building our technology around 2004/2005. That's a long time ago and it was just before dual core CPU's became a thing. What this means is that our game engine was originally designed around being single-threaded. Over the intervening years between then and now we've optimized specific portions of the engine for modern multi-core CPU's however this was done with the knowledge that at some point we'd have to bite the bullet and upgrade the rest of it. With our goal of supporting 200 players in massive space battles that bill has now come due.

The final geometry for the corvette exterior is also nearly complete

To that end we actually began this process over the summer when we upgraded our physics engine to be multi-threaded. Unfortunately that still leaves entity/actor/scene updates and rendering. Coincidentally both of these are being upgraded at the same time, right now, because of dependencies in the networking code that Flavien is writing and the new UI system that I've started writing.

Top shot of the corvette

Flavien is nearly finished with his new entity/actor/scene code and will soon be getting back to the remainder of the networking improvements. This includes client-side prediction (hides latency) and a challenging problem with server-side collision detection against planet terrain that recently popped up. I'm writing our new UI system using an experimental implementation of the new Vulkan graphics API which is designed around multi-threading. Once the UI system gets far enough along that I'm confident in its new rendering abstractions I'll replace Vulkan with D3D11 to finish it.

The corvette underside

This means for the Alpha the game will have 2 rendering systems. The bad old single-threaded renderer which will draw most of the game and the brand new multi-threaded renderer that will draw the UI. Only D3D11 will be supported at launch so the experimental Vulkan implementation will just hang out until we have time to finish it once the game ships to retail. After the Alpha gets released we'll begin iteratively moving the rest of the game over to the new rendering system so we can make maximum use of all of your CPU cores. We expect that by the time that all of this is done we'll have about 1 - 1.5 months left to implement the majority of the gameplay for the Alpha. Needless to say the release of the Alpha is going to come in hard and fast, it probably won't be pretty, but if you've been following these updates with any regularity that shouldn't come as a surprise.

That's it for this week and for those of you in the U.S. enjoy your Thanksgiving!

7 días después
The-Force

Weekly Update 42 29-11-2016

Hey All, this is Flavien. Keith ran into trouble with his computer yesterday ( it's having difficulties booting up apparently ) so I'll be in charge of this weekly update.

Keith has been making good progress on the new Vulkan renderer and abstractions. He can almost render a.. triangle. No kidding. Interestingly, to be able to render just a single triangle in Vulkan requires pretty much all systems to be functional, so although it might not look like it, it's a huge step forward ! We still have to experiment with shaders though.

If you remember the thread about Vulkan versus DirectX12 on our forums a few months ago, we had expressed some doubts about the built-in Vulkan shader compiler, as it doesn't seem to perform any advanced shader code optmization. Now that the fundation is there, we will soon be able to figure that out and determine whether shader performance is acceptable or not. If it's not, we can still 1) wait for the compiler to mature ( which hopefully should happen by the time the game is released ) or 2) later on, switch to DirectX 12 while maintening a fall back on to DirectX 11 for Windows 7+.

Interceptor landed on planet ( render )

On my side, I'm working on our new entity-component system ( ECS ) and refactoring the client / server ( including networking improvements ). It's taking a while, but that was expected. ECS will allow us to utilize more agressive multithreading including for gameplay logic ( in the current build, gameplay logic is single threaded with a couple of independent systems such as sounds, networking or physics running in separate threads ).

The client / server refactoring is also a very important step because it allows us to introduce some major concepts for the future game, such as a form of database persistency ( if the server crashes, we don't want players to lose their progression and the state of the match / battles that were running ) or a replay feature ( still experimental, so I can't promise it for the final game, but that's definitely something we want to do ), and even the basics of modding ( through C/C++/C# custom DLLs ). So as you can imagine, this new version is a major milestone in the project, and will also introduce a bunch of new gameplay concepts ( such as team-based gameplay/spawning, credits, etc.. ).

There's currently no ETA for that new version, but I can safely say it won't happen until next year. Meanwhile, we're still going to release a bunch of content patchs for the current build with art assets improvements or experiments ( like for the interceptor cockpit's bar, which according to a poll on our forums, most people would like to see removed.. ).

Corvette final geometry pass ( render )

On the art side, I'm happy to report that the geometry phase for all 3 "small" ships ( interceptor, bomber and corvette ) is coming to an end. It's still not 100% finished but it's getting close to. Kristian is finishing up the bomber, but still has to rework the landing gears which we found a bit frail for such a bulky ship, and adding some minute details. Jan's detailed the corvette and added various details on the plating and thrusters. Since we haven't posted a real-time preview model yet, it's a good occasion to let you review the Sketchfab model here:

corvette preview model

Dan has moved on to working on.. space station windows. They're very important because they're the best way to give a sense of scale to things in space. So we're trying to make the windows as varied as possible to avoid patterns, and include some additional man-scale details here & there, like docking doors. We're planning on making the windows layout unique per station, so even if two stations are reusing the same modules, they'll still look slightly different with their windows on.

Also note that next week, Keith is relocating to a new place and might or might not have Internet access, so I might be in charge of the next weekly update too :slight_smile: See you next week,

-Flavien Brebion

The-Force

Weekly Update 43 6-12-2016

Hey everyone time for another update. This week was a bit slower on the engineering side because I was busy moving into a new apartment. I've made some additional progress on the rendering abstraction for the new UI system but not much else of note. Fortunately Flavien was able to finish his new entity/component system with multi-threaded updates and will be resuming work on the remaining pieces of networking code.

Latest WIP of the Bomber exterior geometry

On the art side things continue to move along at a good pace. Dan is wrapping up work on station windows, which contribute greatly to a proper sense of scale, and will soon be starting on final factory geometry. Jan has been putting quite a bit of time into generating and optimizing our Level of Detail (LOD) meshes. These are meshes with lower polycounts that get rendered in place of the fully detailed mesh depending on how far away it is. He's also wrapping up the final corvette geometry which we should have some new screen shots of soon. Lastly Kristian is in the polish phase with the final bomber geometry which is coming along great as you can see above.

Examples of the different LOD meshes for the NPC hauler

Our attorney got us the revised version of our crowdfunding terms of service today. There's still some additional review work to be done but we're trying to get that sorted out as soon as possible so we can release the new pledge upgrade system. Jan has started integrating all of the updated art assets into the game as we begin preparing for our next patch. This patch will primarily be a content update and probably our last of 2016. Most of the team will be out of town traveling at the end of the month for the holiday so we're working diligently to get the patch and the pledge upgrade system released by then.

Example of a material for one of our ships

The-Force

Weekly Update 44 13-12-16

Hey everyone it's time for the weekly update. First off I'm incredibly happy to announce we've released our pledge upgrade platform! If you'd like to upgrade your pledge make sure you're logged into your I-Novae account and click here2. In other news Flavien has finished his threading and optimization pass for our entity game update loop. In practical terms what this means is that the game will now make better use of all of your CPU cores which is great because you probably paid a lot of money for them.

The corvette final geometry is complete, shown here with light markers

On the art side we've reached a major milestone - all of the geometry work for small ships is now complete! There's still an ongoing debate within the team about the horizontal bar in the cockpit of the interceptor but aside from that it's all done. The art team is currently working on integrating the new models into the game as we want to release a new patch and host a free play weekend for Alpha backers early in the new year. Unfortunately we probably won't begin texturing the ships until after the Alpha is released so they'll continue to be visually boring on the exterior but exciting in the interior for a while longer.

Corvette with light placements from another angle

That's pretty much everything for this week. We'll have one more weekly update of 2016 before the team scatters for the holiday. When we come back in the new year we'll do our annual review while plotting our course forward for 2017.

7 días después
The-Force

Weekly Update 45 20-12-2016

Hey all here's the last update of the year. This week has primarily consisted of trying to get loose ends tied up before everyone heads out for the holidays. On the coding side I'm continuing work on our new UI system while Flavien is working on cleaning up some low level game code. Everyone is focused on getting all of the new content integrated for our next patch. The new networking code should be available for the first time in the patch following the next one. Due to the upcoming free Alpha weekend we're afraid of breaking everything at the exact moment Alpha backers first get to try the game so new code will be integrated afterward.

WIP editor shot of the bomber. Still needs some cleanup.

The art side has been working on asset cleanup and LOD generation. A large portion of the conversation this week has been about our plan for 2017. The items on our immediate to-do list once we get back from holiday vacation are releasing the next patch, the free play weekend for Alpha backers, and then of course shipping the Alpha. The next weekly update, which probably won't be for 2 weeks, will be our 2016 retrospective followed by our high level roadmap for the new year.

Another WIP shot of the back of the bomber in the editor.

We'd like to take this opportunity to once again thank all of you for supporting this project. It's been one hell of a journey so far and hopefully it's only the beginning. During the Kickstarter campaign we announced that we'd do our best to be transparent during the development of Infinity: Battlescape and we hope we're living up to th

20 días después
The-Force

2016 Retrospective 10-1-2017

Hey everyone here’s our first update of 2017 – the 2016 retrospective! Last year was quite the year for us and this is a big update so hold onto your butts. As soon as the Kickstarter finished at the end of 2015 Flavien and I started getting the prototype ready for release. The beginning of 2016 was particularly hectic for us as we set up our hosting infrastructure, imported Kickstarter data, set up an IndieGoGo campaign for ongoing crowdfunding, and built the first version of our launcher - all while getting contracts sorted out. Our artists officially started work on February 1st and we released the Battlescape prototype to our Developer Access+ backers a few weeks later on February 28th.

A squadron of Developer Access+ players in the prototype

The initial response from Developer Access+ backers was overwhelmingly positive and you can view many of the beautiful screen shots they’ve taken on our forums. While the release of the prototype represented a small but important milestone there was little time for celebration. We immediately began iterating on flight mechanics, adding support for joysticks and other input devices, and integrating 3D mockups for our small ships, cockpits, factories, etc.

As we moved into the summer we realized we were going to have to spend some more time on low level game systems. When the Kickstarter prototype was created we were rushing to get it finished by November 2015 and had to cut some corners. The most notable of those was the networking. Unfortunately solid networking is absolutely critical for a pleasant experience with a multiplayer game and the difficulty in properly implementing it matches its importance.

Land base

After making some progress with our new networking system we realized our physics code was also in severe need of an update. We had been using the same physics backend for at least 5 years and needless to say much has changed over such a long period of time. Thus, we spent a few weeks updating the game to work with modern physics engines such as PhysX and Bullet. During this period we also released our new deployment/installation framework which, while currently in its infancy, will be central to our plans for modding and community management after the game ships to retail.

The I-Novae Engine as it is today was started by Flavien back in 2004 as a hobby project. This was one year after consumer grade dual core processors first became available. To that end the I-Novae Engine was originally designed to be single-threaded. What this means is that if you have a CPU with multiple cores, as you almost certainly do, our engine would only use one of those cores for most of its work while the other cores remained largely idle. As autumn rolled around we decided, given our performance targets of Infinity: Battlescape, it was finally time to upgrade the entire engine to be properly multi-threaded so that it makes use of all available CPU compute power.

Backer screen shot of a lone mountain

While working on the multi-threading update we released our pledge upgrade system, something we promised during the Kickstarter campaign, which will become the foundation for our own crowdfunding and digital sales platform. Unfortunately in October we had to announce the Alpha release would be delayed until early 2017 - however we’ll be offering a free weekend of play for all Alpha backers sometime in the near future. As 2016 came to a close we started on the last series of networking improvements and our new UI system.

Most of what has been mentioned so far pertains to the engineering side of game development but our art team has been quite busy all throughout the year as well. Final geometry has been completed for all of our small ships and cockpits. The NPC hauler has been fully completed including both materials and geometry. Materials for the small ship cockpits have been completed though additional tweaks will be required once we begin adding cockpit instruments. Significant progress has been made on final station geometry and our art team is currently more or less on schedule to get everything completed within the original estimated timeframe.

A factory

So where does that leave us for 2017? Given how long this update is I’ll get into most of that next week. What I can say for now is that we’re working on releasing our next patch at the end of this week. It will mostly be a content update though it will also include plenty of bug fixes. If everything goes smoothly we’ll announce the date of the free Alpha playtest weekend shortly thereafter. That’s it for our 2016 retrospective, we look forward to continuing our weekly updates throughout 2017!

23 días después
The-Force

Weekly Update 46 25-1-2017

Hey everyone it’s time for our first regular weekly update of 2017. It’s been a busy week with the release of another patch as we prepare for our Alpha backer free-play weekend. Unfortunately, last week I accidentally misreported the dates. The Alpha free-play weekend will start this Friday, January 27th, at 2pm EST and continue until Monday, January 30th, at 2pm EST. To download and install the game visit https://inovaestudios.com/Battlescape41 at 2pm EST and click the DOWNLOAD button. You must be an Alpha backer. If you're not an Alpha backer and you would like to upgrade you can do so here28. Please keep in mind that this is not an Alpha build of the game, it’s a prototype, and there’s a good chance some of you may run into problems. Representatives of the company will be monitoring our public Discord server and the forums1 to quickly assist anyone who runs into problems with playing the game.

Alpha map test for factory geometry

Along with the patch Flavien has made significant progress on optimizing our networking code for bandwidth. It’s now at a point where we feel confident that a player with an average home broadband connection should have enough bandwidth to host a 150-200 player server. Whether or not their computer is powerful enough to handle that many players is of course another matter entirely. I’ve also made quite a bit of progress on the new UI system which now draws colored boxes. Exciting I know but there’s a lot that goes into it and it’s a major milestone.

The NPC hauler

On the art side work continues on polishing up some minor issues with the final geometry for small ships, space station windows, the initial geometry pass for our cockpit bobble heads, and final factory geometry. Lastly, I’m going to try to get a few more improvements to our installation runtime completed before the start of the Alpha free-play weekend. That’s it for this week, we’re looking forward to seeing all of you Alpha backers in the game over the weekend!

The-Force

Weekly Update 47 31-1-2017

Hey everyone it's time for another weekly update. This last weekend we had our Alpha backer free-play weekend. Overall it went quite well though we do apologize to those of you who experienced problems - particularly our Chinese users who couldn't play due to issues with handling Chinese characters. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive, our server held up respectably with only a single crash in the very beginning which was quickly resolved, and we now have a long list of bugs to fix! For those of you who weren't able to participate here's a video recorded by one of our players:

Obviously this last week our time was primarily devoted to ensuring everything was running smoothly for Alpha backers. Moving forward we're going to spend all of the next week working on fixing those new bugs. After that we'll resume work on our previous tasks - the new networking code and the UI. On the art side everything continues humming along nicely. Kristian is working on final geometry for factories, Jan is working on concepts for the bobble heads, and Dan is finishing up the station windows.

Player screen shot from the Alpha backer weekend

We'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who participated over the weekend. We're working diligently to release the Alpha and as soon as the networking and UI code gets finished we'll begin iterating on gameplay again. Everything should start coming together pretty quickly at that point as we implement weapons, capital ships, the resource system, in-game chat, etc. Your patience is greatly appreciated and this weekend has only reinforced our confidence that once we're finished this game is really going to be something special!

Fighting it out during the Alpha backer weekend

1 1 respuesta
clethaw

#140 Pero que buena forma esta pillando esto. Me encanta lo que veo. Y todavía me sorprende más callando callando lo avanzados que van. Igual podrían aprender otros estudios :D

1 respuesta
3 comentarios moderados
kranick

miraros el Hellion tambien tiene buena pinta

The-Force

Weekly Update 48 7-2-2017

Hey everyone time for another weekly update. On the programming side this week we have fixed a number of bugs and while making some significant performance improvements. Most notably we improved the performance of our physics interpolation calculations by 70% and we've nailed down some problems with random stutters that could affect users while moving the mouse. With the exception of the stuttering these are all CPU improvements so if you're GPU bound, meaning the game runs slow because your GPU isn't very powerful, you won't notice any difference in frame rate after we roll out the next patch.

WIP space whale bobble head concept

The primary focus of course is still on finishing up the networking and completing the new UI system. The foundation for the UI is working pretty well at this point and I've started work on the R&D for something called path rendering. Traditionally game UI's are created using raster/bitmap images however now that more and more people are using 4k displays we have to build our UI with extremely high resolution images or else it will look blurry. There is, however, another option - we can create our UI with resolution independent vector art and a technique called path rendering. Of course there's a reason most games use images, it's a helluva lot easier, but we believe that in the end we'll be able to provide a superior experience with path rendering and it'll be worth the extra effort - especially for modders.

WIP station windows

On the art side the team is working on some multi-week projects. Kristian continues building and optimizing the final geometry for factories. Jan is working on some great concepts for the space whale bobble head which invoked a lot of lively discussion at our last team meeting. We're thinking of making it an SFC space whale with a bit of cyber punk but that could change. At the moment it just looks like a glowing whale. Dan is finishing up his work on station windows which is really breathing life into our station pieces. Over the next few months there's a lot of large, multi-week art projects as we build land bases and capital ships. Once that's complete we'll finally be able to start on materials so we can show all of you something other than boring solid color geometry.

Building factory geometry

That's it for this week's update. Everyone on the team is pushing hard to get back to iterating on gameplay as soon as possible. Networking and UI are big systems but once they get sorted out we should be able to hit the ground running!

The-Force

Fullscreen + HD

SIRSANCHO

Se sabe fe has?

1 respuesta
The-Force

#148 Ahora mismo según ellos llevan entre 4 y 6 meses de retraso con la alpha que debía salir en septiembre, así que el lanzamiento del juego probablemente se demore hasta principios de 2018. Yo apostaría por finales de 2018 realmente pero ojala sea antes.

The-Force

Weekly Update 49 13-2-2017

Hey everyone time for another weekly update. You may recall that in the previous weeks update we mentioned we'd spent a lot of time on optimization. Originally we intended to only spend a week on it but there were a few outstanding issues we still wanted to address and that ended up taking up most of this week. Fortunately that effort was not without merit as we've improved the performance of a key system by 400%. On top of that we're working on releasing a new patch soon including these optimizations, some new content, as well as a number of bug fixes.

WIP factory geometry

On the UI side I ran into what appears to be a bug in NVIDIA's Vulkan driver which stopped my R&D effort dead in its tracks. I pivoted into building the D3D11 backend for our new rendering system, something I was going to have to do at some point anyway, and I should be able to resume work on the UI R&D shortly. The optimization effort was primarily spearheaded by Flavien and now that it's complete (for the time being) he'll be getting back to finishing up the networking. Our goal was to get back to iterating on gameplay by March but given that it's already halfway through February it's possible it might not happen until mid-March depending on how long the rest of the UI and networking stuff takes. Once we do get back to iterating on gameplay we expect to progress to the Alpha release fairly quickly.

A concept drawing of the googly eyed asteroid bobble head

On the art side work continues on some large multi-week efforts I had mentioned previously. Specifically the mockups for the bobble heads, the station windows, and the factory geometry. After those items are finished we still have final geometry for land bases and capital ships before we start on materials and texturing.

Googly eyed asteroid concepts

That's it for this week. Bear with us as we finish up these last couple of major technical hurdles and then it'll be onto all of the exciting stuff!

Usuarios habituales

Tags